In the hothouse... (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IU
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0
I agree with all that, I just objected to IU's comment. I have some very dodgy records in my collection that I won't part with, in fact my taste is probably more mainstream than most thumped-ites as well.

I'd forgotten what patchouli smelled like until a goth wearing it sat beside me on the bus th'other night - it's actually quite nice.

Lollo Rosso (21 Feb, 2002 02:36 p.m.):
I agree with all that, I just objected to IU's comment. I have some very dodgy records in my collection that I won't part with, in fact my taste is probably more mainstream than most thumped-ites as well.

I'd forgotten what patchouli smelled like until a goth wearing it sat beside me on the bus th'other night - it's actually quite nice.

Really good if you suffer from anxiety, relaxing an'all you know.

Are you sure that's not just the people who wear it?

-Lolo, contemplating attending Galstonbury but wondering if it will induce a desire to go on a hippy-killing spree

Lollo Rosso (21 Feb, 2002 10:31 a.m.):
IU (20 Feb, 2002 07:02 p.m.):
[quote

That's just a lack of education. Theya re nothing LIKE SawDoctors. Like Crowded House but rockier - that's HHFlowers

so a lofty proclomation like that just makes you come across as a complete dick.

A lofty proclamation? You mean a 'generalisation'? Like the one theat it was in response to? Exactly. What IU meant is that they sound nothing like Saw Doctors. And they don't. Saying they are the same because they sold lots, are shite (your opinion) and are Irish, means they are the same as Enya. They quite obviously are not and anyone that suggests they are is displaying a lack of knowledge. Knowledge is gained thru educating yourself in soem way. Therefore, to say the HHF and Saw Doctors are the same, while purporting to have an indepth knowledge of music, is a bit rich...

Relax the kacks there IU. Pantone was simply saying that he puts both of these thing into the one bag, the bag of music he doesn't bother with. I've never met Pantone, but I could see straight away that he was saying that. He wasn't saying the two bands are the same at all.

You can't go insulting people by saying they're uneducated (you obviously value education so you probably consider a lack thereof a deficiency; therefore this was an insult - am I wrong?) just because he's expressing his opinion. This is basically what Lollo Rosso was saying, in a reasonable way I thought. If someone dislikes the music you like, trying to belittle him by claiming he's uneducated displays either a fundamental lack of wisdom or an unmerited defensiveness on your part. And please don't take this as an attack on YOUR character. I'm just pointing out your unreasonable reaction.

IU (22 Feb, 2002 02:09 p.m.): A lofty proclamation? You mean a 'generalisation'?

No, I mean a lofty proclomation.

IU (22 Feb, 2002 02:09 p.m.): What IU meant is that they sound nothing like Saw Doctors. And they don't. Saying they are the same because they sold lots, are shite (your opinion) and are Irish, means they are the same as Enya. They quite obviously are not and anyone that suggests they are is displaying a lack of knowledge. Knowledge is gained thru educating yourself in soem way. Therefore, to say the HHF and Saw Doctors are the same, while purporting to have an indepth knowledge of music, is a bit rich...

I never said they were 'the same', neither did Pantone,. He said he 'lumped them in' together, I said I categorised them together. Neither of us said that they made exactly the same kind of music, just similar. Maybe you don't think of music in terms of categorisations, Pantone and I obviously do.

IU (22 Feb, 2002 02:09 Therefore, to say the HHF and Saw Doctors are the same, while purporting to have an indepth knowledge of music, is a bit rich...

hold on there fella

I never purported nothing

I never said they sound the same I simply said I lump them with the Saw Doctors (in a box called "bands I feel trade on an Oirish diddly iddle stereotype that gets on my tits"... Also flogging one song again and again...sigh...)

and by christ my opinion was not influenced by album sales, I can recognise what I do and do not like by myself thank you very much

this is MY opinion, I don't think anyone who objects is uneducated (what an awful choice of words by the way...), I do not leap down anyones throat when they're opinion differs to mine... hey, I'm a pretty all round nice guy :)

IU this crazy paranoia buzz your on here is getting really tired, I'm shocked that some smart ass comments made by moi are gaining such rage from you.... I mean jesus I'm just some sap, don't go losing the head over what I think...

Snakybus, Lollo, you guys rock

you can both be my Top Gun Stylee wingman any time
;)

Pantone247 (22 Feb, 2002 03:26 p.m.):

;)

And you can ride my tail any time, Maverick.

{aside} Actually, with the nick-names, paranoia, competetiveness, double meanings and uh....topless volleyball, Thumped is not unlike Top-Gun, isn't it? All we need now is the Berlin soundtrack to go with it - Pete?

Lollo Rosso (22 Feb, 2002 04:08 p.m.):
;)

Ahem - wing*person*

ah, but of course

it is all very top gun is'nt it... except less groups of men standing round in white jockey shorts....

I never said they sound the same I simply said I lump them with the Saw Doctors (in a box called "bands I feel trade on an Oirish diddly iddle stereotype that gets on my tits"... Also flogging one song again and again...sigh...)

Okay, maybe I misunderstood your comment. I accept your point that you lump them together on your own terms (although I feel that if you saw them live these days you'd be surprised what they've done to that 'one song'!

Anyway, apologies, okay? The uneducated comment, to reply to another post while explaining that it was not an insult, is based on my philosophy that the only way to make yourself knowledgeable (Not you, but people in general) is to educate yourself. I don't claim to be, which is why I don't make generalised statements if I can avoid it.

Anyway, as you said, enough of the paranoia - although they just *might* be out to get me, all, the same... :0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back