Importing a guitar from the states (1 Viewer)

Thayl

Since 1999
There have been a few posts here in the past from people wondering about how much the customs duty is on equipment they buy online (or over the phone) from the USA. Apparently (there are loads of rumours about how this duty is calculated) it differs depending on the equipment you buy.

Anyway, a guy who works with me just bought a Martin acoustic-electric guitar (do some people call them semi-acoustics?).

It’s a Martin OMC-16E Premium.

He bought it new from some shop in the USA for 1165 Euro.
Delivery (including insurance) from the USA to Dublin was 89 Euro (using Global Express).

Customs Duty was 38.81 Euro.
VAT was 262.88 Euro
Another charge of 5 Euro for “Post Office Clearance” was charged by An Post.

So, in total he paid approximately 1560 Euro. The same guitar is on sale in Perfect Pitch for 2600 Euro (he says).

Just thought this might be of interest to anybody who is thinking about buying musical instruments from the states.

Obviously this wouldn't apply if you were physically in the USA and bought a guitar, you could probably just bring it home and say "oh I brought this with me" and not pay any VAT or duty.

Ive bought a good bit of music gear from the states and Ive only paid duty/vat on a couple of things. When you're talking about a new guitar worth that kind of money then you havent got a chance of it getting by customs, for older electronic gear you can mark it down at low value for insurance, put it on the customs dec as being returned from repair or a gift & take your chances. Also, stuff sent by USPS has a beter chance of getting through than by UPS in my experience.

if you ask the shop to put a "gift" sticker or warranty replacement sticker you can get away without vat or customs duty. You are relying on the shop to be cool about it though. I got some bike parts a few times from the states doing this but it was a couple of years ago.Worth considering though.

Does anyone buy strings on line? The dollar is weak at the min and stuff is super cheap from the states.

Does anyone know a place that will ship to Ireland???

Keith

CEREMONIALDEATH said:
Does anyone buy strings on line? The dollar is weak at the min and stuff is super cheap from the states.

Does anyone know a place that will ship to Ireland???

Keith

I send my guitar to the States to be retuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back