Identifying songs (1 Viewer)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Got a burned CD compilation lately off a guy with some cool tunes on it (kinda latin/hip-hop stuff). He doesn't have any idea what the music is, he got it through a similar route himself, but I want to find out artist/album etc

Any ideas?

Don't even know what language some of them are in, and it's a home-made compilation :(

I thought radio stations used some kind of software that could identify the songs by actually "listening" to them in order to report to the likes of IMRO? Maybe it's not freely available, I guess

I thought radio stations used some kind of software that could identify the songs by actually "listening" to them in order to report to the likes of IMRO? Maybe it's not freely available, I guess

cpr has some application on her phone that, if you play 10 seconds of any song, it's gives ya the song title and artist. I'll ask her what it's called!

Theres software for the iphone and some other mobile (maybe a Samsung?) which will identify tunes - its mighty impressive in action.

Oh - think this is the software - you can also use it on the website: http://www.midomi.com/index.php

A mate of mine has it on his phone and it works really (scarily) well.

Shazam is another alternative - shazam.com, seems to be restrictions on it i.e. only iphone version seems available on site. Cracked versions are plentiful though.

Ohh - shazam seems much better - no annoying ads either.

jaysus, i'm supposed to be studying ... this isn't working at all at all

Its even worse when you don't have the songs anymore, but are dying to hear them again. Here's two of mine from some lost "recorded off the radio" tape. Can't Google the lyrics, cause I don't remember them!

1. Released around 1996/97- this was an lo-fi alt country single. Just a bloke with a croaky voice and a battered guitar, singing a rough waltzy type song in a voice like Smog or Silver Jews. Its distinguishing bit was that he whistled the last minute or so. John Peel "really liked that whistling", and Xfm played it a bit.

2. A techno dance song, also from around 1997 with fairly normal rave piano keyboards and a female voice singing "EeeeeeEEEEE....eeeeEEEE", fairly deep in the mix.

They're probably not that great, but I'd love to know who they were...

Its even worse when you don't have the songs anymore, but are dying to hear them again. Here's two of mine from some lost "recorded off the radio" tape. Can't Google the lyrics, cause I don't remember them!

1. Released around 1996/97- this was an lo-fi alt country single. Just a bloke with a croaky voice and a battered guitar, singing a rough waltzy type song in a voice like Smog or Silver Jews. Its distinguishing bit was that he whistled the last minute or so. John Peel "really liked that whistling", and Xfm played it a bit.

2. A techno dance song, also from around 1997 with fairly normal rave piano keyboards and a female voice singing "EeeeeeEEEEE....eeeeEEEE", fairly deep in the mix.

They're probably not that great, but I'd love to know who they were...

you should upload 'em as sound clips.

you should upload 'em as sound clips.

Problem is, I can't, the tape is well gone. It was a deadly tape too, which also had a live version of Palace Brothers "Ohio River Boat song" from the Baggot Inn, recorded off Dublins XFm, with Will Oldham almost crying his head off.

I think it was last seen in a walkman that was nicked off me in Dublin Zoo of all places.

hmm, dunno why, but i'm pretty sure that's 'lonesome sound', by tortoise. i used to play it on xfm a lot, great tune

Guy in work has shazam on his phone - that's one amazing application. Here's the songs:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back