Ice-skating (1 Viewer)

I used to love ice skating. We all learned when we were itty bitty wee things. There was a pond near our house that everyone skated on, all unofficial and stuff. On weekdays, half of it was reserved by the big kids for ice hockey, then on the weekends, the parents would come along and wreck the buzz. When we were EXTREMELY wee, we'd go down there and have the whole place to ourselves because we got out of school earlier than the big kids.

Place was a fucking kip, all shopping carts visible through the ice and beer cans sticking up out of it, but it ruled. It was only recently that I discovered the following:

* Most people do not ever skate on an actual pond in their whole lives, and this place was a total fluke
* The part of town I grew up in was considered by many to be the 'wrong side of the tracks', which came as a bit of a shock to me, until I remembered that at least two of my friends lived in shotgun shacks.
* Our pond has been FILLED IN and there are fucking CONDOMINIUMS on it. I hope they sink into the fucking marshland, the cunts. NOBODY FILLS IN MY FUCKING POND.

Local rinks were cool enough, but I can't bring myself to do the 'novelty' ice skating around Christmastime. It feels all wrong. It was a regular everyday activity for me as a kid, and I think I'd just feel sad doing it now. Plus, I don't want to pay for it.

ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!

WAY TO MANY PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOIN.... THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. IF SOME FAT BASTARD FELL ON MY KID (IF I HAD ONE) COZ HE'S A CLUMSY WHALE OF A CUNT, WELL I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SLIT HIS NECK WITH A SKATE. IF THEY WE'RE PROPERLY SHARPENED BUT....

THE SKATES THEY HAVE AT THE X-MAS ICE THANGS ARE FUCKIN' SHIT.

THE ICE ITSELF IS EVEN FUCKIN' WORSE UNLESS YOU'RE THERE IN THE FIRST WEEK.

I LOVE SKATIN'....BUT THE LACK OF HOCKEY STICKS, BOARDS, BEER, VIOLENCE AND MANLY YET NIMBLE MEN IS DISGRACEFUL.

GO FLAMES GO!!!

16€ for one hour of skating? Fuck that...I'll do some skating for free this new year.

The best skating experience was when the whole lake where my parents summer cottage is was perfectly frozen with no snow at all on it.

We had skates and lots of people and animals and these things mostly old people use:
potkuri.jpg

And this kind of a mad thing:
napakelkka_iso.jpg

i like just kinda bashing around the place but i havent gone for a while.
last time was about 2 years ago in NZ - a load of us smoked what felt like a bale of weed, drank far too much vodka, and headed down to the rink (where my friend worked and opened it up after hours for us)

we used those hockey stick things but if anything they only got in the way.
they certainly dont help you with balance.

* Most people do not ever skate on an actual pond in their whole lives, and this place was a total fluke

i remember skating on the pond in mullingar town park. everyone used just go out on it in their shoes and slide around and as far as i recall it was more manageable than skates. the ice was about 6 milimeters thick, i'd say. at first i only went on it after my older sister and her friends successfully antagonised some traveller children in order to get a chase off them and we had to flee across it.

360642.jpg

We had to make our own skating fun. This is me in Firhouse in the glorious 1980's. Look how happy I am. That's because it was the 1980's and only good things happened back then.

Iceman.jpg

And this is the great Firhouse versus Knocklyon Winter scrap. Knocklyon wankers.
Human-Torch-vs-Iceman.jpg

i remember skating on the pond in mullingar town park. everyone used just go out on it in their shoes and slide around and as far as i recall it was more manageable than skates. the ice was about 6 milimeters thick, i'd say. at first i only went on it after my older sister and her friends successfully antagonised some traveller children in order to get a chase off them and we had to flee across it.

360642.jpg

Sweet Jesus. Remember 'Lark in the Park'?

The Halloween Tree - 75% Marys 25% Tech. I have very mixed feelings about the past, generally speaking.

Is that percentage the breakdown of the band? '94 is a little before my time. I thought I might recognise the name, but no.

What covers did you do? Any local bands from '96 would either cover Silverchair, Bush or Kerbdog. I remember there were gigs held in Rochfortbridge as well.

I fucking hate Mullingar, although I still have friends from there.

Thankfully I'm not from there.

Is that percentage the breakdown of the band? '94 is a little before my time. I thought I might recognise the name, but no.

What covers did you do? Any local bands from '96 would either cover Silverchair, Bush or Kerbdog. I remember there were gigs held in Rochfortbridge as well.

I fucking hate Mullingar, although I still have friends from there.

Thankfully I'm not from there.

breakdown of the band, yes. we played a lunchtime gig in the school in rotchfortbridge one time too. we played our own stuff mainly but at the lark in the park we had to get two lads in from finians in to play because hughbie (sp?) mcgee threatened to throw two of our lads out of the mullingar marching band if they played at the lark in the park and these finians lads wanted to play some song by that band who sang Runaway Train so we did.

where are you from anyway that you can afford to be so uppity about the gar?

breakdown of the band, yes. we played a lunchtime gig in the school in rotchfortbridge one time too. we played our own stuff mainly but at the lark in the park we had to get two lads in from finians in to play because hughbie (sp?) mcgee threatened to throw two of our lads out of the mullingar marching band if they played at the lark in the park and these finians lads wanted to play some song by that band who sang Runaway Train so we did.

where are you from anyway that you can afford to be so uppity about the gar?

Farm background. I grew up on a dirt-road which was about one mile behind the hill of Uisneach.

I always wanted to be from Ballynacarrigy. Talk about the underclass...

Misery Loves Co. were big with the girls, no? They were originally produced by Bob Mould, y'know.

I somehow stole my way into a Finian's education. Big mistake. Weird, uptight place - very fraternal, in the most sinister sense of any connation coming from that word (or world, even).

I was once in a band myself with some Mullingar youngsters. It lasted two whole weeks. My friend chose to form a band with two of the biggest knob-heads in Mullingar.

Farm background. I grew up on a dirt-road which was about one mile behind the hill of Uisneach.

I always wanted to be from Ballynacarrigy. Talk about the underclass...

Misery Loves Co. were big with the girls, no? They were originally produced by Bob Mould, y'know.

I somehow stole my way into a Finian's education. Big mistake. Weird, uptight place - very fraternal, in the most sinister sense of any connation coming from that word (or world, even).

I was once in a band myself with some Mullingar youngsters. It lasted two whole weeks. My friend chose to form a band with two of the biggest knob-heads in Mullingar.

ballinacarrigy is a dreadful place, i think you were better off at uisneach with your ancient goddesses and sacred ash trees. it surely rivals even Fore as a site of Westmeath wonder. i bet your a fine hurler, are you? my family lived in ballinacarrigy for a few years but luckily had moved into mullingar by the time i came along (not before they made many enemies there though - i had a job delivering booze and one of the ballinacarrigy publicans stopped talking to me when he heard who i was...).

i know nothing at all about Misery Loves Co. were they from mullingar?

ballinacarrigy is a dreadful place, i think you were better off at uisneach with your ancient goddesses and sacred ash trees. it surely rivals even Fore as a site of Westmeath wonder. i bet your a fine hurler, are you? my family lived in ballinacarrigy for a few years but luckily had moved into mullingar by the time i came along (not before they made many enemies there though - i had a job delivering booze and one of the ballinacarrigy publicans stopped talking to me when he heard who i was...).

i know nothing at all about Misery Loves Co. were they from mullingar?

Yeah, I know about Ball' - hence the 'underclass' dig. Which is actually true, 'cause no-one there works or has any desire to. And they are more or less the one family. Brrrrr!

I never played hurling. I played a bit of gaelic. I quit during my best year under 16 'cause some wank-nog said I was a "fuckin' faggot" as I did art in school. What can I say - I'm a sensitive guy.

Not well up on local history. Except for local gossip.

Misery Loves Co. were the band that sang 'Runaway Train'. Rides, the lot of them. Surely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back