I can't believe there isn't a dedicated Rebecca Black thread yet (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Brian Boyd said:
The song’s tune and lyrics are not Rebecca Black’s. The US has a well-known vanity record label called Ark Music Factory; for an average of $2,000 (€1,400) its songwriting and production team will write a customer a song and record it professionally. Black pleaded with her parents to pay the fee so she could have something to show her friends on the internet.

The melody line sold to Black is catchy enough in a mindless sort of way. The lyrics may not be Leonard Cohen-esque, but they were written for a 13-year-old: “Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday / Today is Friday, Friday (partyin’) / Tomorrow is Saturday / And Sunday comes afterwards.”

To give the song a contemporary sheen the producers used the studio device Auto-Tune, which gives the vocal a slightly robotic feel.

The song was never intended to be released commercially, and it’s clear from the way Black performs it on the video that it’s only meant as a bit of fun for friends and family.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0326/1224293121351.html

I don't see the problem.

Why is This;

513WBR0871L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cool
And a document of a lost time, and catalogue of outsider art and whatever the fuck else you want to say about it.

But she and Ark Music Factory isn't
And is somehow an indication of the death of the world.

...............when they are exactly the same thing

I find it hard to get annoyed by things these days, Its as simple as not listening to it if it does bother you. RB4EVER.

ah I dunno, most of the people he's complaining about are 13 year olds\Perez Hilton anyway.

If you are complaining about a banal pop song but can't muster a more inventive way to express yourself than typing "OMFG BITCH YOU SUCK", then you really ought to consider folding your laptop shut and sitting quietly in the corner until that fallow lifespan of yours eventually reaches its conclusion.
An entire article bitching about the tweets of idiots, fish in a barrel Charlie.

I think your point was far more interesting Mormon.

I don't see the problem.

The auto tuned nasal repeats of "friday friday" is were the problem is.

Why is This;

513WBR0871L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cool
And a document of a lost time, and catalogue of outsider art and whatever the fuck else you want to say about it.

But she and Ark Music Factory isn't
And is somehow an indication of the death of the world.

...............when they are exactly the same thing
It goes back to aesthetics, I for one aint fond of the 2k10 teenpop sound . Maybe in 20years time that sound will resonate more and her lyrics about the joys of the banal, small things in life and the tough choices a teenager in American has to face like which car seat to sit in with be a clever reflection of that culture.
Sure alot of poem songs are terrible but there are a few that have a strange heartfelt sincerity to them or/and are just genuinely charming, both qualities that are lacking in Rebecca's song and indeed in the slew of novelty songs retarded cop is churning out (bar the John Denver one).

Just because Mark E Smiths has "Blind Man's Penis" in his collection doesnt mean everything that Nashville Co Writers has ever done must be "COOL" or even listenable.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A enlightening documentary on songpoems is on youtube and is well worth a watch if your in to pop culture oddities.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maybe in 20years time that sound will resonate more and her lyrics about the joys in the banal small things in life and the tough choices a teenager in American has to face like which car seat to sit in with be a clever reflection of that culture.

Mormons point is probably the best thing i've heard on it. I know she's just a girl having the craic, but what your saying sorta reminded me of the eloi in the time machine by hg wells.

Returning to the site where he arrived, the Time Traveller finds his time machine missing, and eventually works out that it has been dragged by some unknown party into a nearby structure with heavy doors, locked from the inside, which resseambles a Sphinx. Later in the dark, he is approached menacingly by the Morlocks, small, pale, lemurlike people who live in darkness underground, where he discovers the machinery and industry that makes the above-ground paradise possible. He alters his theory, speculating that the human race has evolved into two species: the leisured classes have become the ineffectual Eloi, and the downtrodden working classes have become the brutish light-fearing Morlocks. Deducing that the Morlocks have taken his time machine, he explores the Morlock tunnels, learning that they feed on the Eloi. His revised analysis is that their relationship is not one of lords and servants but of livestock and ranchers, and with no real challenges facing either species. They have both lost the intelligence and character of Man at its peak.

I was using the reflection of passing time as the only way
Mormons point
could make any sense to me. How is her song
a document of a (lost) time, and catalogue of outsider art
and
exactly the same
as other song poems. Again its back to aesthetics. The mircokorg sound doesnt have the same affect on me as the warm and unnervingly weird mellotron thats in lots of rodd rogers poem songs.

aesthetics?? no, i think i agreed with mormon on the sense that the creative process was very similar, and with similar motives.

tough choices a teenager in American has to face like which car seat to sit in

I related what you were saying to the time machine in that ms. black resembles in ways the eloi people of the far future, within the context of that song.

I think the song poems only work because if you throw enough shit against a wall some of it will stick. I dunno how many 100 or 1000 song poems were done, but mathematics would suggest that at least some would have to sound good. The only one I really like is Bottlecap Millionaire. I think the recording is ace but I think the lyrics show genuine talent. Reminds me of an old American folk song turned into a crooner number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back