html in mac? (1 Viewer)

gril

i've been putting this off for a while thinking there must be some something really simple that i'm missing, but i can't figure out how to write html in mac.

if i go to text editor and write a load of html, then save it as html, then open it in safari/whatever, all the tags and everything still show, and its just plain black text on white. do i need to get a new text editor? or is there some simple way around it?

and another thing, theres no # button on my keyboard, whats going on with that?

thanks

you need to go to preferneces menu in TextEdit, click open and save, and there you'l find the html saving options!

my keyboard ain't got 'hash' character either, think they forgot to put it in;)

well tripoli, if you are using the irish configurated keyboard layout, (there should be an irish flag on the top right hand side of the screen; otherwise go into system preferences/international), then press alt+3... viola!

##### etc.

plug said:
well tripoli, if you are using the irish configurated keyboard layout, (there should be an irish flag on the top right hand side of the screen; otherwise go into system preferences/international), then press alt+3... viola!

##### etc.

interesting plug, thank you:)

tripoli said:
you need to go to preferneces menu in TextEdit, click open and save, and there you'l find the html saving options!

my keyboard ain't got 'hash' character either, think they forgot to put it in;)

i dont really understand those options though, what should it be set as so it will just make itself html like notepad in windows does?

hmm...

I'd wager that you've been inadvertently saving your documents as .rtf files. rich text documents in other words! in short, rich text documents allow you to apply and save a certain amount of text formatting within them... stuff like font type & style, colour, size etc. etc. think of it as a really stripped down version of word or something.

I would guess that when you open a new text file there are drop down lists pertaining to styles, spacing etc. amongst other things along the top of the document window. if so, consider it as confirmation that you are editing your documents as rich text.

in summary, rtf will not do.

what you want is to write and save your files as plain text documents that can be saved in .txt format... or indeed .html etc.

you can do one of two things:

• create a new document. along the top menu go to 'format', and click on 'make plain text'.

• alternatively, "apple+shift+t" will do the same thing. click again to toggle back and forth between rich text mode.

if you want to set up textedit so it opens every new doc as a plain text document, go to preferences, and in the 'new document' options area click "plain text" under the "format" section.

that should sort you out!

plug said:
hmm...

I'd wager that you've been inadvertently saving your documents as .rtf files. rich text documents in other words! in short, rich text documents allow you to apply and save a certain amount of text formatting within them... stuff like font type & style, colour, size etc. etc. think of it as a really stripped down version of word or something.

I would guess that when you open a new text file there are drop down lists pertaining to styles, spacing etc. amongst other things along the top of the document window. if so, consider it as confirmation that you are editing your documents as rich text.

in summary, rtf will not do.

what you want is to write and save your files as plain text documents that can be saved in .txt format... or indeed .html etc.

you can do one of two things:

• create a new document. along the top menu go to 'format', and click on 'make plain text'.

• alternatively, "apple+shift+t" will do the same thing. click again to toggle back and forth between rich text mode.

if you want to set up textedit so it opens every new doc as a plain text document, go to preferences, and in the 'new document' options area click "plain text" under the "format" section.

that should sort you out!

deadly! thats it exactly, i knew it was something really simple. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back