How to password protect folders? (2 Viewers)

Beanstalk

Website
www.myspace.com
I want to lend my external hard drive to a mate so that he can copy some music and movies on it, but I also have some personal documents on it that I don't want to leave accessible. Is there any way that I can password protect some selected folders?

I could make the folder hidden, but a lot of folk have got their Windows Explorer set to view hidden files anyway so its not the most reliable way of preventing access.

Any idears?

I want to lend my external hard drive to a mate so that he can copy some music and movies on it, but I also have some personal documents on it that I don't want to leave accessible. Is there any way that I can password protect some selected folders?

I could make the folder hidden, but a lot of folk have got their Windows Explorer set to view hidden files anyway so its not the most reliable way of preventing access.

Any idears?
Simplest, least secure way:
Zip up the confidential folders, put a password on the zip file. Makes it a bit of a pain to actually use the folders as folders though... having to unzip and rezip every time you want to add something new to it is a huge pain the hole.

More difficult, more secure way:
Download TrueCrypt - that shit is awesome. Might be a little daunting when you first get started though.

Simplest, least secure way:
Zip up the confidential folders, put a password on the zip file. Makes it a bit of a pain to actually use the folders as folders though... having to unzip and rezip every time you want to add something new to it is a huge pain the hole.

More difficult, more secure way:
Download TrueCrypt - that shit is awesome. Might be a little daunting when you first get started though.
i second truecrypt - it's not that hard

if your external drive is portable, it should be encrypted. same goes for USB keys.

I'll give it a go...it says its only compatible with Windows XP/2000/2003 and Linux so I hope if I encrypt it using XP, I can still access it using OSX too...or vice versa...sure I'll try it anyway.
if it's not compatible there's bound to be something else that is

The following features are planned to be implemented in future versions:

• Full support for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista

• Mac OS X version

• Support for external authentication modules (cryptographic tokens)

• Parallelized/pipelined read/write

• GUI for Linux versions of TrueCrypt

• 'Raw' CD/DVD volumes

• TrueCrypt API
and more.

oh well

if the drive is formatted using ntfs, right click the folder --> properties --> advanced --> encrypt contents to secure data

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back