How Random is Shuffle? (1 Viewer)

The septic

My computer is DJing an amazing set tonight. Is shuffle really that random? How come it seems to get in different moods? It's loving the rock tonight. The other night it couldn't get enough of metal/punk.

yeah, i've had that before too!
i reckon it's genuinely random,
its just that when u've got shuffle on,u just get stuff u mightn't have thought to put on.
although, shuffle pretty frequently throws out spanish language stuff i put on last year in the middle of a decent run of tunes-

The object of a five knuckle shuffle can be fairly random.As can their location.

yep, same here derek, my windows shuffle seems to prefer certain albums at the expense of others, the way i get around it is to create a playlist with all your stuff in it, then put filters on the playlist to take out the albums it plays all the time.....still a pain in the hole to have to do this tho.....

I have one of those radio tuner yokes for the van and Whilst driving a band on tour recently I came up with a good time passer. Each person had to plug in their mp3 player on shuffle for half an hour with no skipping allowed and the rest voted on how cool or shit the selections were. Some really funny terrible shit can come on. Bono singing solo, no instruments for example. The stuff you'd never want anyone else to hear. HOW WE LAUGHED

I think the shuffle in some players goes by how many times it's been played. So if you've had stuff on there for a while with no change up -- it might play some albums or songs more than others based on what you played during non-shuffle times. If that makes sense?

It's not random at all, it runs from a very specific algorithm. Gaussian distribution is pretty common but there's lots others.

It will never play the same track twice in a row, which would happen now and again in a perfectly random situation.

But does it not select 1 song from the 4,000 you have on there, then play another one?

i.e. if you left shuffle on, wouldn't it play your entire collection before going back to the full list and selecting at random all over again?

But does it not select 1 song from the 4,000 you have on there, then play another one?

i.e. if you left shuffle on, wouldn't it play your entire collection before going back to the full list and selecting at random all over again?

I don't think it does that, pretty cure there's no reason why the song from the collection can't be played twice just not consecutively.

I don't think it does that, pretty cure there's no reason why the song from the collection can't be played twice just not consecutively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back