Hot Press / Awards / Not Document (1 Viewer)

new, leninist speedy!

Originally posted by Speed Racer
IrishUnsigned is right. I think it would be a good idea to have an awards like the Mercuries. They're always good. And the bands they picked this year were fuckin refreshing. Don't let Joe Public get involved though, as your average citizen is dumber than a bag of hammers.

i've no objection to it either, but that's not what's being proposed... the recognition comes from the knowledgable ones on high... anyway, 'tis p.m. material now.

Originally posted by egg_
I shake my fist at you Tom

I like the idea of someone who's done exceptional work being given recognition by their peers

Originally posted by silo
new, leninist speedy!

Whats wrong with John Lennon Silo?!ironyyy

Get yer hands out of yer pants. Ah no...only kiddin. I think you're completely gift. I love the way you put down everything except yer mickey in yer hand.

Originally posted by billygannon
The only problem I have with Pop music awards is that it's Pop music taking itself too seriously.

An Awards ceremony like the one Ron is suggesting isn't a bad idea.,.... it'd be nice to have an awards ceremony for music that's like the Booker prize to literature (I read the books shortlisted for the Booker.... ).

But don't keep it local.... seriously. It'll turn out like Self Aid or something like that.

Unfortunately we don't have a choice. IRMA, BPI and all that stuff. A project like this costs approx 125,000 to do (or 400,000 if you want a TV focus on it) so it's about big name corporate sponsors. Therefore, it's impossble to alienate IRMA, even if we want to. We are basically saying the rules are that *any* 'body of work' (ie they say an album but we want to include 5-track and more) can be eligible if it is released into the 32 counties. That way we basically make *all* Irish and UK releases eligible since not many albums are released in great britain without being released into NI as well. It's not local, as such, but we have political borders to consider.

Originally posted by billygannon

But don't keep it local.... seriously. It'll turn out like Self Aid or something like that.

Self Aid was brilliant! I still have it on tape (well, the U2 bit where Bono does all that "Fuck the ESB" stuff...

aLiddleBiddaPolitiks or wah?!

and just where would we be without you

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Whats wrong with John Lennon Silo?!ironyyy

Get yer hands out of yer pants. Ah no...only kiddin. I think you're completely gift. I love the way you put down everything except yer mickey in yer hand.

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
..hey irish you said that joe public would get to vote? maybe I'm wrong but you know what happens when joe public gets involved..westlife ahoy!...tom dunne on the pannel? mmmm. makes me reach for the parachute! I'm sure he is a really nice guy and his show isn't that bad I suppose, but me for one thinks of the whole marty wheelan..thelma mansfield..gerrry ryan brigade when his name gets mentioned..how about replacing him with the guy who runs road records( No I don't know him) but someone like his outfit does more for "new" and "independant" music in Ireland the the likes of mr dunne.!bing

Believe me or not, I take on board all that you're saying. Two things: First, when I say Joe Public will vote, I mean those who listen to stuff other than Pop (pap?). Yes, Tom Dunne's show is one of them mainly because of his standing in the music business and the respect he engenders. Jon Richards (Galway Bay FM, the only afternoon show in Ireland dedicated to Irish music) is another. Having only spoken to Dunne twice (I leave all that glad-ganding to Dave) I have no idea what he's really like but, just for example, he agree to make our band Sutras "Artist of the Week" this week and didn't have to ask anyone. That sort of 'independence' in radio is rare and that's one of the reasons we chose him, plus he's well known by both the public and the sponsors. Seriously, he's nothing like Gerry Ryan...

Second, Dave (from Road Records) may well be a future panellist. As you can understand, this thing has to get going before we can excercise any real pressure on that front. The main problem is that sponsors wan't guaranteed exposure. With the panel we have (look at it, please, those of you who haven't) we can guarantee exposure. When the thing is a year or three old and we have a successful (we hope) format and then we can say to sponsors "It'll work, no matter how unknown the selectors are".

Anyway, if you want to vote for Sutras in the Artist Of The Week (those of you who are always moaning that new Irish bands never get anywhere, and would like to help prove that wrong) then click here, select 'Brilliant' and vote.Sutras vote

Here's a thing.
Someone told me a while ago that Tom Dunne wouldn't play anything by 'unsigned' bands. Whether that means independent releases too, I don't know.
I'm assuming that the Sutras thing proves that wrong.
The only thing I've been involved with that he's played was, I think, JOA once or twice.
Discuss. Or don't.

ah he's a nice bloke really... all them flowery shirts... but then my experience was going down to kilkenny to see the waltons playing with something happens on the back of a truck in the town square... they never knew what hit them...

Originally posted by silo
i've no objection to it either, but that's not what's being proposed... the recognition comes from the knowledgable ones on high... anyway, 'tis p.m. material now.

I'll get to the PM soon, but let me point out that the 'recognition' comes from all sorts of places and we think we built a structure that will address the shoertcoming of bot the Mercury's and the Meteors to an extent. Nothing's perfect, but as I keep saying, we like to see level playing fields. None of the people involved are necessarily there simply because they are 'on high' (or just 'high'?) but cos of their knowledge of the music scene, their proven track record in promoting it more than the average and their usefulness to us, in that order I think.

Originally posted by old
Here's a thing.
Someone told me a while ago that Tom Dunne wouldn't play anything by 'unsigned' bands. Whether that means independent releases too, I don't know.
I'm assuming that the Sutras thing proves that wrong.
The only thing I've been involved with that he's played was, I think, JOA once or twice.
Discuss. Or don't.

Tom Dunne has, as far as my limited research goes, played more unsigned (the definition is a long and fairly flexible one for our purposes so I won't go into it cos some people think it's an insulting term) bands than any other 'Prime Time' presenter in the months between Xmas and May this year, certainly the ones on National radio. Yes, the Sutras thing does prove it. He also had Sutras put on the TodayFM standard playlist so they got daytime spins as well. In fact, Sutras made a good few grand from it in royalties and so on.

Go on, vote for Sutras, say they're 'Brilliant'. We're trying to get themon Wittness and Tom Dunne has some clout there.

Vote Here

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back