Horror people (2 Viewers)

No definally not mainstream...

To be honest I think the increase in popularity started with Scream which seemed to have opened the doors to a new market.

Any horror film seems pretty garenteed to make money thus the reason for such shite like Jeepers Creeper 2 and the amount of remakes/prequals being made.

Will u link the piece when it's done - i'd love to read it,

Cool, no worries. Tis the girlfriends piece though so i'll have to clear it with her. 5000 words - pretty hefty.

I did a piece on 'Horror films as scapegoats in media Moral panics' or some such mouthfull for my dissertation in college. I think it was 12,000 words or so. I'm trying to get back to college to do a research postgrad on the same subject..

hey ferox - what's "dubliner hunted in 'snuff' video probe" about?

Back in the 90's - there were a fair few ppl trading Vhs around Europe. So what sparked by the Jamey Bulger/Chuckie thing, British police started cracking down on it which led to raids in England.

An address was found which was passed onto Irish police.

The media (the Evening Press) in this case reported with some hyperbole - SNUFF FILM being a bit more grabbing than low budget crappy horror film..

Either way no arrests were made this side of the water.

you an ex-90s flower of flesh and blood
dubbin vhs trader?

always loved the idea of guys dubbin shit...
bit young / didn't know about it until i was
in my late teens for it myself - but dig the
subculture or whatever - used to see it
written about in the same ol same ol zines
(most of which i can't even remember anymore)

you an ex-90s flower of flesh and blood
dubbin vhs trader?

I'm not sure what you mean officier...

Weird thing Guinea pig was never mentioned - weird main stream stuff like Blade runner and the unsual suspects of Cannibal/zombie films..

anyone ever buy films from Mero?

I used buy my banned VHS from a guy in Ipswich. Had a great collection.

I remember giving a few tapes back in the day but that was about it. I never really bothered dealing with Brits - they didn't have great collections and/or the quality was shit..

Mostly I was in contact with ppl from Sweden/Norway/Finland - who had huge collections of mostly Original VHS stuff..

Ahh the good old dayz...We're all spoilt by Bit Torrent and Newsgroups these days..

There was a great little video shop on the north side. Just up from the Flowing Tide. Upstairs there, we're a lot of pirated video "nasties" got quite a lot of stuff there that was "Banned". Like the uncut Evil Dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters and the like... all since available on posh DVD.

Tellin yeh, there is something about watching a 10th generation VHS dub that makes things reeeeealy creepy, compared to a clean DVD.

he had everything that guy
is it still there? haven't looked in years
i asked him if he used to buy out old video shops, said he was just a collector and he had more stuff at home - ???

There was a great little video shop on the north side. Just up from the Flowing Tide. Upstairs there, we're a lot of pirated video "nasties" got quite a lot of stuff there that was "Banned". Like the uncut Evil Dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters and the like... all since available on posh DVD.

He used to have a place on the keys before that - he sold every thing for £3 each...I remember hovering over the new boxes when they came in like vulture..

I picked up originals of lots of rare stuff for £3 each - Love Camp 7/Antrophopagaus/Absurd..MIllions of stuff..

After a while he copped on and start holding out on putting this stuff on the shelves.

Tellin yeh, there is something about watching a 10th generation VHS dub that makes things reeeeealy creepy, compared to a clean DVD.

I remember that place, just on Marlborough St.
Regular videos downstairs and loads of pre-cert tapes upstairs of stuff that was subsequently banned / not re-issued.

Picked up Sleepaway Camp there. Also Cannibal Holocaust and I Spit On Your Grave - better copies than the ones I had bought from the UK years beforehand.

Pricey though.

Last thing I got there was Massacre at Central High.
Great film. Slasher. With Jimmy Olson in it and a totally superfluas dance routine if memory serves.
Got chewed up though...
Anyone see it on DVD anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back