Tuesday 4th November 03
The Sugar Club
8 Lower Leeson Street
Dublin 2
Doors 8.00 PM / Show 9.00pm
Adm: €12
Tel: (01) 6787188

Please note no support act. HiM will play a two hour set

Over the years, Him has become known as an ever-revolving lineup of truly skilled, creative musicians pushing a burning pulse of afro-fusion, funk, dub and jazz via horns, bass, guitar and and drums. Now, after much respected band founder Doug Scharin (formerly of Codeine, June of '44, and Rex) has taken a rest, a step back, had a beautiful baby girl, and regrouped a new crew from his myriad of talented friends around the country, he re-emerges with a new band - HiM.

After reports of various name changes, Mr. Scharin, rightful legal owner of the HiM name, has graciously agreed to share it with the Finnish heavy metal band of the same name, who’ve just signed a deal with a stateside major (though their choice for the acronym is “His Infernal Majesty,” not the traditional Rastafarian “His Imperial Majesty”). But if it’s truth that you seek, the music on Many In High Places Are Not Well conveys the album title’s message with clarity, offering a collaborative mixture of textures that might suggest a new way of looking at things, or a greater potential of how we spend our time.

The heavy grooves in tribal patterns are still there, but stepped up a notch in their subtlety and authenticity. The horns present resolved, complete, and beautiful ideas - questions, philosophies, and above all, emotions - leaving behind the burning solos and reckless abandon of the last HiM album, New Features. But perhaps the most notable change for the new band is the addition of vocals - gorgeous work-song harmonies provided by Christian Daustreme (The Letter E, The Screw), in English and French. There's also a track with some reworked guest vocals by Mum’s Kristin Valtysdottir. Additional players on the record include the last 9-person HiM lineup, plus Rob Mazurek (Chicago Underground Duo, Isotope 217), Abdou M'boup (Senegalese kora player for Tom Tom Club), Joe Goldring (Swans, Out in Worship), and Adam Pierce (Mice Parade).

This is undeniably Doug Scharin’s most accessible effort to date, but it’s an unforced move, and ‘Many In High Places…’ more than anything sounds like a natural progression, a cohesion of ideas, another take on rhythm and experimentation unconfined by generic boundaries.

Saw them play in NY supporting Isotope 217 a few years back, and it was fucking great. If anyone's put off by the repetative nature of say, Our Point of Departure, they are a kick ass full on live band. Plus Doug Scharin is one of the best drummers in the world.

Hag?

Wheels? Oh right. yeah, he's ok. :) this will be one of the best gigs of the year. even better than, lemme see, the raveonettes. or any of those bands. interpol. it'll be a gazillion times better than interpol but probably 100-150 or so will go. people are stupid but what can you do...

SOOOO stupid.

Typical conversation:

Me "You going to the HiM gig on Tuesday?"

A Stupid " Who?"

Me "HiM. They're very good"

A Stupid "Well I haven't heard of them already, so I doubt they could actually be any good"

Me "No, sincerely, they're great. The drummer fom June of 44, Codeine?"

A Stupid "The what? I have a head ache now"

Me "Ah for Fucks sake "

A Stupid "Things I don't know about scare me"

Me "Your loss"

A Stupid "Oh you mean that Finnish Metal band that played with Ozzy?"

Me "Fuck off."

Wheels said:
Saw them play in NY supporting Isotope 217 a few years back, and it was fucking great. If anyone's put off by the repetative nature of say, Our Point of Departure, they are a kick ass full on live band. Plus Doug Scharin is one of the best drummers in the world.
yeah Our Point of Departure was a bit dull, anyone know what the new one is like?
dug sharon(!) is a great drummer and adam pierce (mice parade - its an anagram!) is playing in Him that night too - i sooo wish i could go.....grrrrrrrr.....:(

spectraljanitor said:
yeah Our Point of Departure was a bit dull, anyone know what the new one is like?
dug sharon(!) is a great drummer and adam pierce (mice parade - its an anagram!) is playing in Him that night too - i sooo wish i could go.....grrrrrrrr.....:(
i didn't like Our Point of Depature but the new one is great. lots of different styles - jazz, dub and other ethnic sounds. recommended.

nEiLo said:
i didn't like Our Point of Depature but the new one is great. lots of different styles - jazz, dub and other ethnic sounds. recommended.
isn't one of the hot twins from mum* singin on it? yum!:)

* mum the iceland band, not anyones mother.

The one on the left looks like she needs vitamins. Looks like she has one of those complicated medieval diseases.

Wheels said:
Yummy MUMmy...
i fucking missed them when they played last year by not living in ireland.
they are the two gals what is on the cover of belle&sebastians "fold your hands child.."
apparently they've just finished recording an album in a lighthouse off the coast of iceland...sweet!

damo here.
bit too pricey for mer to go to HiM i think, though Jo44 were great. There was only round 100 there, cant imagine more would go to HiM. At least it'll be in a relaxed and laid back venue. Neil Turpin drummer in Polaris, Diesel vs Steam, Snail Racing, etc was in HiM for a while.

Saw HiM last night in Cork - holy crap - it was amazing. Soooo much better than the CD's let on. No sign of that foxy chick (I actually was disappointed). Doug really is one of the greatest drummers n the world...

Melt Banana TONIGHT!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back