High Infidelity presents... Jack Rose (~Cork~) (1 Viewer)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
brookessalon_032905.jpg

Jack Rose is a guitarist, originally from Virginia.
In the mid-90s he joined the noise/drone group Pelt with Patrick Best and Mike Gangloff. Over the course of ten years and a dozen records, Pelt transformed slowly from an electric group, heavily influenced by Sonic Youth, the Dead C and Theater of Eternal Music-style minimalism to an acoustic group showing the strong influence of John Fahey. Rose, meanwhile, relocated to Philadelphia and began to take fingerpicking seriously.
In 2002 he released his first solo LP Red Horse and White Mule, followed in 2003 by Opium Musick, both on the Eclipse label. (The two LPs were subsequently issued together on one disc by VHF as Two Originals Of...) Raag Manifestos followed in 2004 and Kensington Blues (both on VHF) in 2005. His playing initially shows the influence of Fahey and the so-called "Takoma-school," particularly Robbie Basho and Max Ochs, but his clear knowledge of their antecedents, including Blind Blake and Blind Willie Johnson, both of whom Rose covers on his albums, as well as Hindustani classical music, has set him apart from other followers. His synthesis of ragtime and blues guitar funkiness with oriental romanticism has appeared in his hands to be novel.

His recorded collaborations outside of Pelt have been infrequent but include Jason Bill of Charalambides, Donald Miller of Borbetomagus, Glenn Jones of Cul de Sac, Eric Carbonara and Ian Nagoski.

mp3 samples here:
Two Originals Of...
Raag Manifestos
Kensington Blues

+ pelt ...
Brown Cyclopaedia
Max Meadows
Técheöd
Empty Bell Ringing In The Sky
Ayahuasca
Pearls From The River
(Untitled)
Skullfuck/Bestio Tergum Degero

The Tikki Lounge, Cork
August 24th
For more info, stay tuned...

Update on the gig:

Agitated Radio Pilot will be doing a rare solo set.

Also, myself and Paul Condon (Chokchai 3K Battery, United Bible Studies, PKD) will be performing alone together for the first time under the name 'Mahood'.

941066735_l.jpg

This gig will be coinciding with the day of my very last broadcast of High Infidelity (12-1pm on Cork Campus Radio 97.4fm). As regular listeners may know, I'm expecting a baby on Christmas Day and am moving home to Galway for good. In my wildest dreams I could never have imagined being so lucky as to have Jack Rose playing on my last night in Cork. I'm not really sure what I'll be playing on the show (most likely Jack Rose and Pelt anyway) but I'm sure it'll be a good one so be sure to tune in... I'll have two Deserted Village heads in with me anyway so we might even make a bit of live music for the craic.

As it mentions on the poster, support on the night comes from Agitated Radio Pilot. ARP is a project driven by Village lynchpin Dave Colohan (United Bible Studies, Magickal Folk of the Faraway Tree, Holt) with collaborators relevant to each piece.

arpseat.jpg

For more info and mp3s czech out his myspace:
www.myspace.com/agitatedradiopilot

"If Ireland is the new Finland, then the Deserted Village collective is leading the way through the mystic lands. Agitated Radio Pilot is village head David Colohan's long-running project. Forest drones and ambient crusades dot the horizon of this ethereal landscape. Colohan is a master artist, using simple sounds to create vast and vivid mental images. This is soothing like a bubbling stream."
-Brad Rose www.foxydigitalis.com
"...eerie, melancholic space age folk...Orbiting a different world to that of the static singer songwriter scene, Agitated Radio Pilot may be a voice in the wilderness but outsider music has rarely sounded so warm."
-Keith Wallace, Do Something Pretty

And as I've already mentioned, myself and Paul Condon (Chokchai 3K Battery, United Bible Studies, PKD) will be performing alone together for the first time under the name 'Mahood'. I'm really excited about this as it's something we've both talked about doing for a long time.

www.myspace.com/mahoodsings

So don't forget, it's this Thursday August 24th in the Tikki Lounge (above Cashmans pub on Paul St.) and the show will be broadcast on CCR97.4fm from 12-1pm the same day. Thanks to everyone who ever listened in.
Vicky. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back