heroes (1 Viewer)

1000smurfs

have you any?

besides jesus obviously.

in real life: Médecins Sans Frontières
totally the bravest most compassionate people in the world.

musically : the wright brothers

science: albert, the positron thread spurred me on to this thread, i agree sagan and feynman are both legends

In a rare moment of seriousness - I'd nominate this guy:

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/politicsobituaries/story/0,1441,634281,00.html

He really was an amazing man - this doesn't really do him justice. He was a champion of the people before it became a cliche. The article doesn't mention how in his eldest years he became a politician for one of the poorest, most disadvantaged areas in london, helping all who sought him out, to the extent where (as mentioned) he was so broke he took a lordship just to get free trains.

No-ones heard of him because he shunned publicity, he even refused a biographer.

Where are the men and ladies like him today?

oh shit said:
shunning publicity.

haha! that is a very valid point. long live the unsung heroes, although I'd imagine it would be harder for anyone to be unsung at anything anymore, what with everyone from random attention seekers to people with exceptionally dirty houses making it onto telly.

TenRabbits said:
haha! that is a very valid point. long live the unsung heroes,

Hurrah for the unsung heroes! though let us not sing them anymore, they're not about that...

although I'd imagine it would be harder for anyone to be unsung at anything anymore, what with everyone from random attention seekers to people with exceptionally dirty houses making it onto telly.

To go one step further, It's hardly "making" anything to get onto telly, it's almost harder not to these days.

have no heroes.
i do not believe in the worship of any individual human being, outside of certain types of love.
every human being, no matter how intelligent or wonderful they are, is flawed sometimes and in their own ways. everyone fucks up at some stage, everyone has their own personal problems and issues. i certainly do not believe that anybody is "normal" or "sane".

a somewhat better question to answer is who has been inspiring to you, in either their lives or works.
personally the following have all been influential to me in some way or another, although many (if not all) of them were very messed up people who fucked up along the way: austin osman spare, aleister crowley, william blake, william s burroughs, alexander shulgin, salvador dali, comte de lautreamont, marquis de sade, heraclitus, ludwig van beethoven, nina simone, billie holiday, ludwig wittgenstein, babs santini, flann o brien, jhonn balance and many friends of mine.

i don't have any heroes as such (except for Batman of course) but i have been inspired by a few people after having read about them and their lives.

Martin Luther King is one of these people as he was an exceptional person...a total legend. I read a book about the man years ago and it conatained some letters between himself and his wife amongst others. After having read this book I felt inspired to try and lead a better life because of the impression that his writings made on me. This guy was a real hero and one of the most incredibly intelligent, well read, brave and honest people of the last 100 years. I wish I had a fraction of the integrity this man possesed in the face of ludicrous social rules, violence and state perpetuated injustice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back