head & cab question... (1 Viewer)

Break Neck Speed

Website
myspace.com
My head has the 4, 8, and 16 ohm option for speaker cab input. I run a harley benton g412a from the head. Because the head does not have 2 speaker outputs like most new heads does this mean i am limited to using only one cab? Or, can i power one cab off another to increase my "cabbage"?

Nope. When I was younger that's how I thought it was done but I've seen nothing since that has mentioned it. It could be possible in the same way linking two channels on a Marshall head works, but you'd need to figure out the maths. If you link them together and it works at all this is how I see the maths working.
lead to 1st cab - normal 8ohms, put in second lead which splits the 1st cab to stereo - 16ohms a side. Your lead out goes to the 8ohm connection of the 2nd cab which means you have 16ohms driving 8ohms. Now from a wiring prospective you have 16ohms > 16 ohms > 8ohm which totals what!? I don't know.
The only otherthing is that if it works at all once you plug the 1st cab to the 2nd, the first cab won't split to stereo so you'll just have a straight 8ohm+8ohm which means set your head up for 4ohms. When it doubt 4ohms.

If you have your current cab set at 8 Ohms & link it to another 8 Ohm cab that'll give you an overall impedance of 4 Ohms.

Set your head to 4 Ohms & your away.
If your head is a tube head make sure you have the cabs connected before you switch it on.

If it's solid state it shouldn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back