hasnt the wire gotten awfully expensive? (1 Viewer)

giveadogabone said:
3.80 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds

=5.52919 EUR
Euro
on the cover it says its 3.80 sterloids but its 6.64 yoyo to buy?:confused:

surely shome mistake?

it was my yearly purchase cause of the free cd;)

Well, a yearly European (but non-UK) subscription costs 55 sterling, which works out to 80 euro. Divide that by 12 and you get 6.67 euro per issue.

Basically, you're paying for shipping from the UK to Ireland. In fact, you're getting a 3-cent-better deal than subscribers are.

Paul

i really appreciate what the wire does, covering as it does the huge amount of wonderful and genuinely innovative forms of music which have - and continued to be - completely ignored by garbage such as the nme (where else to you see masami akita, jhonn balance and steve stapleton as cover "stars"? along with a full page of dub reviews). however, its been quite a while since i felt compelled to actually buy it. i feel over the last year it has got particuarly dull. about five years ago there seemed to be something really "vital" about it, which i feel has been lost of late. still, i do very much admire what they do, even though they only seem to cover artists who advertise with them. still, everyone has to live! alot of people have problems with the tone and writing style, feeling that it somewhat pretentious and pseudo-academic. i will admit their writers can be excessive with the verbiage, however at least it doesnt insult the readers intelligence like, say, the nme again.
there is also a curious strand of political correctness running through it. i recall a review which slammed john zorn's "the gift" because the artwork was by trevor brown. and i do find it amusing how they continually misinterpret the work of v/vm and whitehouse.

Brian Conniffe said:
i really appreciate what the wire does, covering as it does the huge amount of wonderful and genuinely innovative forms of music which have - and continued to be - completely ignored by garbage such as the nme.
i kinda wonder what the point is in comparing the wire and the nme. nme is for kids just getting into music who want something shiny. i don't think you can expect young teens to want to read about phil minton. it's like trying to argue why casablanca is better than toy story 2.

Brian Conniffe said:
i feel over the last year it has got particuarly dull. about five years ago there seemed to be something really "vital" about it, which i feel has been lost of late.

I have a similar feeling, but I think the reason is that when I started reading the magazine, almost everything they covered was able to blow my mind because I had never heard anything like it before. Nowadays it takes a bit more to impress me. Still, I always find 4 or 5 things in every issue that I want to track down. And some of the prose is always entertaining (intentionally so or otherwise).

cunt said:
i kinda wonder what the point is in comparing the wire and the nme. nme is for kids just getting into music who want something shiny. i don't think you can expect young teens to want to read about phil minton. it's like trying to argue why casablanca is better than toy story 2.

to be perfectly honest, i dont think stuff like Q Magazine or Select are much better than the NME, its the same tired "flavor of the month" shit over and over, the same useless old rock bands trotting out the same cliches endlessly. Mojo assumes that all the interesting and vital music has been done and dusted years ago, i dont mind their style or content, but it still ignores all the interesting stuff happening at the moment in favour of flogging dead horses.
there are plenty of young people - teenagers - who would be facinated by the more avant garde stuff, there is just no fucking exposure in popular media. fuck the eNeMiE and eMpTy V, for downgrading everything music should be to the most derivate and soulless garbage pollutants.

quasiquasi said:
I have a similar feeling, but I think the reason is that when I started reading the magazine, almost everything they covered was able to blow my mind because I had never heard anything like it before. Nowadays it takes a bit more to impress me.

yeah, true. one can become a little spoilt for choice when huge realms of new and stunning musicks are opened up. what a great thing, and i appreciate the wire so much for that. i did get albums based on their coverage before which are some of my favorite things ever. however, its just been so long since that has happened.

Still, I always find 4 or 5 things in every issue that I want to track down. And some of the prose is always entertaining (intentionally so or otherwise).

haha, yes. ian penman hasnt written for it in ages, which i'm not sure is a good or bad thing. his writing is almost incomprehensible, it always read like he was completely fucked on some very strong drugs when he wrote. it made for terrible reading, but often hilariously enthusiastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back