GZ news/gigs (2 Viewers)

damien

Since 2000
First up let me just mention two recent developments. Firstly, as of today the new pub laws come into effect. Unfortunatly, Michael "the new hitler" McDowell has decided to force pubs to close an hour earlier on Thursdays. This means that from now on the vast majority of our gigs will end at 11.30pm. This makes it much harder for us to have four bands on a bill, as usually most people dont show up until between 9-10pm, and i hate having to make the opening band play to a nearly empty room. This thursday's gig has four bands however, seeing as it was booked months ago, so I suppose we'll see how it goes. The second thing is that the amazing Remains Of The Day won't now be coming to Ireland next week, so the planned dublin gig for 8th Oct is off. Sorry. I am sad too.
Its not all that bad, however, as we still have a number of great gigs coming up over the next while, starting with...

Dead Letter Dept (Can) http://www.deadletterdept.com
Giveamanakick (limerick)
Kid Blunt
No Compliance

Thurs 2nd Oct. The Music Room, lwr Abbey St, doors 8pm, first band 8.30 SHARP! €6

Through years gone by, the cold, hard ducats Dead Letter Dept. have saved by going without tattoos, hair product and spit-shined videos has gone towards van-repairs, DIY releases and truckloads of non-sweatshop merch.
And with this, if you look closely enough, you just might be able to make out the 7 solid years of hurt feelings, incessant touring, bruises, fat lips and cult-followings. Pop punk about girls has morphed into something yet-to-be classed. Did you notice?
Cuz if you did, you'd see that Dead Letter Dept. has always done what it does out of sheer desire to remain honest and self-aware. In the 7 years of it's existence, the band has yet to replace a member, play a show for weird reasons or net a single dime.
From the highest pitched nasal melody to the angriest scream, from introverted acoustic softness to smashing instruments mid-song, from high-fives to beating the living shit out of each other, the reactors behind the antagonism that makes this band go has always been honesty, integrity and passion.
Perpetual touring, maturing, dues being paid on layaway. 7 years strong. A never-ending change in musical ideas.

Limerick's Giveamanakick this year released their debut album, Is It Ok To Be Loud, Jesus? to much acclaim, and their rockin two-piece sound wowed audiences in Dublin a number of times this summer. Kid Blunt have just returned from a European tour, so no doubt they'll be shit-hot, while fellow coolie kids No Compliance take time out from saving lives on the beach and crying into their sweater vests to grace us with their presence.

Please show up early for this one.

Next up:

Bands Against Bush gig, check out http://www.bandsagainstbush.org/ for the idea behind this one. There were supposed to be a good few gigs happening on the same night around Dublin, but this one is the only one that stuck. Its a little haphazard, I have to admit, bands have dropped out at the last minute and it's taken quite a while to get the line-up together, and no "special events" are as yet planned, but feel free to bring along anything that you may feel might add to the night.
Anyway the deal is:

The Killing Spree (Belfast)
Mr. Nipples (Belfast)
Excuse For Escape (Carlow)
Foot In Mouth
Lynched

Sat 11 Oct. The Music Room, lwr Abbey St, doors 8.30pm, €5

And the week after features the return of one of the best live bands to have come to ireland in the past few years. Its their third time here, and they have a brand new album out on Coalition (http://www.coalition-records.com/), and they're sure to rock you with their touch and go/discord style sound. Yes, it's...

Feverdream (NL, http://www.feverdream.nl)
The Naut (Belfast, formerly Cosmonaut)
Large Mound

Thur 16 Oct, The Music Room, lwr Abbey St, Doors 8.30pm, €6

Upcoming GZ shows:

30 Oct, Anarchist Support Benefit with Stomach, Mouthpiece, Skint
23 Nov, Mikiladoris (NL), Already Dead

donal, you're an idiot.

i hope the rest of the band kicks the shit out of you.

donal once told me and jill a story about when him and eoin were little kids in roscommon. he said when they were in primary school their teacher had to tie their pencils to their desks because neither mini-eoin nor mini-donal could manage not to lose them for longer than five minutes.
there was us thinkin it was all the drugs that made them the way they are. turns out they were just always like that.
aw, bless.

Re: ssss

nooly said:
wouldn't 'donjo juan' be more fitting than donjo quixote?
indeed this has already been discussed at length on a seperate thread. i asked winty to post 'that' photo, but no sign of it yet, unfortunately.
saw some funny photos of the bong the other day, think it was from a gig in kilkenny.

Re: ssss

treelo said:
indeed this has already been discussed at length on a seperate thread. i asked winty to post 'that' photo, but no sign of it yet, unfortunately.
saw some funny photos of the bong the other day, think it was from a gig in kilkenny.
I don't have the capabilities to post "that" photo unfortunately. Anyway I wouldn't give him the pleasure; I thought it was disgraceful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back