Guitar amp plugins (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Magee

Website
www.myspace.com
Anyone any experience of using guitar amp modelling plugins in e.g. Cubase? I'm debating whether I should get one, or opt instead for the Line 6 Guitar Port jobby...

Chances are with a little time you could get the real thing sounding as good, and probably better. Obviously there's a reason you're thinking of going down that route though. How much do Pods go for these days?

Erm, about 500 squid, as far as I can see...but I gather they sound fairly good, no? That's why I was thinking of the Guitar Port yolky, because (as far as I can see) it sounds the same, but just gets your PC to do the work, and is cheaper as a result...

Yeah, well the amp I have is pure shite...well, actually, maybe you can advise me here...it's only a shitty practice amp, but nonetheless I can get an *okay* sound out of it, but as soon as I mic it up I just get a really fuzzy sound, or at least a lot more fuzzy than it sounds just listening to it, whereas I'd like a warmer tone. I mean the amp tends to lean towards the fuzzy end anyway, but it certainly sounds worse when I record it...I'm wondering if maybe my mic-ing (or even mic) is letting me down somewhere, but I'm following all the, er, "standard" procedures, six inches away, halfway between centre and edge of cone...

Questions, questions :p

What kind of mic?
Are you going straight into your sound card?
What make/model of amp is it (if you remember)
What kind of guitar?
Describe the 'fuzzy' sound a little more.
Can you think of any songs that have a similar guitar sound to the one you're after?

Um, dynamic, to be more specific, erm, it's a Peavey of some sort...real helpful, I know...
Well, the mic is, yeah...I tried DI'ing the amp, but it's pretty much the same (which lends credence to it being a shit amp)
Amp, erm, a Wave...nope, I'd never heard of the make before either...got it as a birthday pres yonks ago, wasn't really doing the electric buzz much for ages, so it was fine, but it's not the best really...
Epiphone Les Paul
Um, just sort of noisy really...not too dissimilar to a digital distortion, but it's not that, because putting the levels down doesnt make it go away (or if I play the amp clean, but louder, I get a much stronger signal, but clean, so I think that fairly rules it out...)...I mean, it's a real wimpy fuzz, not any sort of decent crunch or anything
Erm, (you'll love this), I don't have any spes-hific sound in mind, just less fuzzy!

On a personal note, my dreihundertste post! I'd like to thank etc. And it's actually about music, not my usual shit TV shows/ads/etc. type posts...

I'd have to hear the amp to figure out what the problem is. The mic isn't distorting cause it's a practice amp (not powerful enough), the reason for the noise when DIing is the speaker causes the harsh frequencies to be lessened and you DI before the speaker. I would say it might be that the peavey mic sounds harsh naturally. See if you can borrow an SM57 and compare them. As for the guitar port, it's just a learning tool, not a plug in. That means, unless they come up with a rewire style program, you can't use it in cubase. Have a look on ebay for sans amp pedals these can be picked up for around $100 and can sound great.

Not sure, that's the whole rewire thing I was on about. Check out www.line6.com for more info. From what I gather though the port is just an analogue to digital converter which then gets sent to the line 6 software. That means you'd probably need a second computer to record the guitar sounds coming out of the first! I may be wrong though. If they have a rewire style program that would mean that you can route the outputs of the guitarport programme internally into cubase. Just like you can do with reason.

Just had a look at website. It seems you can redirect your guitarport internal outputs to recording software and steinberg, the makers of cubase are one of them along with Logic and Cakewalk. I'd go find a guitar port in the shops and ask for a demo of this before going ahead and buying it though.

Originally posted by michaelknight
Erm, about 500 squid, as far as I can see...but I gather they sound fairly good, no?

500 squid is for the new fancy POD XT... I guess you could find cheap pre-owned POD v2.0, they're indestructable anyway.

About the sound, it depends on what you have in mind: me and my guitarrist use a POD and we're both very happy with the sound but what is good for me could be bad for you.......... why don't you go and try it in a shop?

Alternatively, the guitar is a good one so if you buy a decent amp and an SM57 I don't see any reason why it shouldn't sound right.

Also, try any possible position for the mic

Good luck! A.

as soon as I mic it up I just get a really fuzzy sound, or at least a lot more fuzzy than it sounds just listening to it, whereas I'd like a warmer tone. I mean the amp tends to lean towards the fuzzy end anyway, but it certainly sounds worse when I record it...

Could be the mic
Could be the mic positioning - closer to the speaker=fuzzier sounding (sometimes). Move the mic to where your head is when it sounds good to you and try that
My guess though is that you are probably clipping the input stage of your recorder, that usually gives a real nasty fuzz sound. Do you have a 'trim' function or knob somewhere on the recorder? If you do try turning that up, or turn down the pre-amp (if you have one)

Originally posted by InsidePoint
Another idea would be to buy a DI box and try and get your hands on Amplitube. I have Amplitube and it's class.

http://www.amplitube.com
What be this DI box yolky now? Can I not just plug straight into me PC? I was debating the oul' Amplitube yolky alright, but then it's only really useful for recording purposes; if I got one o' them POD yolkies I could use 'em live as well, non?

Originally posted by Alex
About the sound, it depends on what you have in mind: me and my guitarrist use a POD and we're both very happy with the sound but what is good for me could be bad for you.......... why don't you go and try it in a shop?
How variable is the sound? They go on about there being so many amp models yadda yadda yadda...?

Originally posted by egg_
Could be the mic
Could be the mic positioning - closer to the speaker=fuzzier sounding (sometimes). Move the mic to where your head is when it sounds good to you and try that
My guess though is that you are probably clipping the input stage of your recorder, that usually gives a real nasty fuzz sound. Do you have a 'trim' function or knob somewhere on the recorder? If you do try turning that up, or turn down the pre-amp (if you have one)
Aren't you likely to get a real distant weedy sound if you're too far away from the amp though? I don't think it's input clipping, because, as I say, if I record a clean sound, even at the same volume levels, it comes okay, and lowering the pre-amp doesn't stop it...or am I missing something here?

How variable is the sound? They go on about there being so many amp models yadda yadda yadda...?

I use a bass pod myself and the variety of sounds is amazing: it allows to choose between lots of amps and cabs and plus you have EQs and effects. You don't even need an amp because it has a DI output.

With the POD XT (€500 though) you can even choose between a selection of mics and their position (centred, at the edge of the speaker, etc.) in theory it simulates the sound..!!

However, I guess it's indicated if you want quite a "modern" sound... it doesn't look like it can give you a lo-fi feel as it's electronic in the end. I mean, you get top results if you play it through a valve amp

I guess you should just go to the shop and try it.... then order it at Thomann coz it's cheaper

we used one doing the Capratone album for putting down guide tracks with the drums, I was fairly impressed by it I have to say, the Fender Twin was very nice.

I don't know but... guitar amp modellers.... they just give me the shivers...

at the same time I still haul out my zoom 505 and happily use it's piss poor shitty hissy effects and skanky nasty distortions every so often, but without a hint of Irony I'll wince at a Line 6 POD

I'm a mess of contradictions me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back