• Thread starter Ed
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 0

Ed

taken from nme.com

GUIDED BY VOICES T O SPLIT, THE WORLD OF INDIE MOURNS

GUIDED BY VOICES have announced they are to split after almost 20 years.

The band have announced on their website that the release in August of 'Half Smiles Of The Decomposed’ will be their last album.

A statement reads: "After almost 20 years, assorted lineups, and countless albums, EPs, singles, triples, stolen bases, misdemeanor convictions, and broken hearts, Dayton, OH's fortunate sons are taking leave of your senses.

"'Half Smiles Of The Decomposed' to be released August 24 on Matador Records, will be the final album from Guided By Voices, one of the most acclaimed independent rock bands of all time.

Bandmember Robert Pollard said: "This feels like the last album for Guided By Voices. I've always said that when I make a record that I'm totally satisfied with as befitting a final album, then that will be it. And this is it."

'Half Smiles Of The Decomposed' is the band's 15th full-length studio release. It is possible that Pollard will continue as a solo artist.

He added: "I love the guys in the band, but I'm getting too old to be a gang leader. There's a sense of maturity, and even integrity, I think, in continuing as one's own self."

Y'see this is utter bollix. They'll be back... the only member who seems to be consistently there is Doug Gillard.

Anyway, I finally managed to get around to watching the Watch Me Jumpstart DvD. They're the best band ever. The video for Auditorium/Motor Way has to be the best video ever made - including films. And Earthquake Glue is a cracking album.

I'm going over to the States this year to watch them play and then stalk them with a big horn on me.

few of us headin to chicago tomorrow to catch gbv one more time (mabe two). anyone else heading over?///cud hook up.

i shared a rehearsal space with these fellas for a while, i really think they will play again as gbv. pollard is a total nut job and it's the only thing he really loves to do, he probably just wants to do some solo stuff as a little break but the gbv bug will bite him again. doug gilliard is sound as a pound, billy, he's played on a few of my friends albums and such, he's a very sweet guy. if you're going over to see them let me know and i'll see if i can get a hold of him. i'd say he'd love to see your horn:p

SadieOutlaw said:
i shared a rehearsal space with these fellas for a while, i really think they will play again as gbv. pollard is a total nut job and it's the only thing he really loves to do, he probably just wants to do some solo stuff as a little break but the gbv bug will bite him again. doug gilliard is sound as a pound, billy, he's played on a few of my friends albums and such, he's a very sweet guy. if you're going over to see them let me know and i'll see if i can get a hold of him. i'd say he'd love to see your horn:p
Em... I don't think you realise how much I like GBV. Robert Pollard is a god among mere mortals.

Did you share rehearsal space with them? Oh yeah... you were in Ohio!
Is Ohio really like how the Drew Carey show depicts it?
Did you like Cinnicinati?
Do you remember the Icky Shuffle?

Gong Farmer said:
Em... I don't think you realise how much I like GBV. Robert Pollard is a god among mere mortals.

Did you share rehearsal space with them? Oh yeah... you were in Ohio!
Is Ohio really like how the Drew Carey show depicts it?
Did you like Cinnicinati?
Do you remember the Icky Shuffle?

when they practiced they'd show up with about 4 or 5 cases of beer and a few ladies. yes, you heard me, ladies. their rehearsals were like mini parties with a band playing in the corner, the band being gbv. sometimes me and my old bass player would sit outside the room and listen for hours, bob changes the words of his songs for fun when practicing and he's pretty fucking funny. so we'd sit and have a beer and listen to a free gbv gig and every ten minutes or so, make small talk with one of the ladies, who were sent out on occasion to buy more beer or cigarettes. total rock 'n roll those gvb fellas.

a few times a drunk bob said "hey eh...i forget you're name....eh sorca, can we borrow your amp for bit, i think something's wrong with this one...eh....beer fell i think..eh..or something...mumble mumble"

the guy who rents the rooms is good friends with them all and a huge fan, where are you going to see them? maybe you two should hook up.

SadieOutlaw said:
the guy who rents the rooms is good friends with them all and a huge fan, where are you going to see them? maybe you two should hook up.
Yes, yes, I would like that very much. Could you arrange this for me? Seriously. I'll pm you my e-mail.
Unfortunately I can't go see them.

You do realise that you have spoken to God don't you?

Gong Farmer said:
Yes, yes, I would like that very much. Could you arrange this for me? Seriously. I'll pm you my e-mail.
Unfortunately I can't go see them.

You do realise that you have spoken to God don't you?

ok billy, i sent you some info there and i'll get cracking on the case:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back