Grant/funding for MA in the UK???? (1 Viewer)

whathappen?

Hey
I never thought I would ever even think about it but I am investigating going back to college to do an M.A. The courses I am looking at are in the UK and are not related to my degree at all.:) Is there any chance of a grant or some sort of funding . The MA would be in Acting / Theatre in London , would the aul Arts Council like to give me a few shillings?- probably not ,considering the state of the place but maybe you never know , if they think they are getting rid of a sponger like myself.
Any advice lads?
Thanks
Whathappen?

Pretty sure you can only get a grant for a masters here and Northern Ireland. There's other euro grants but they only apply to disadvantaged areas like north wales.

Hey
I never thought I would ever even think about it but I am investigating going back to college to do an M.A. The courses I am looking at are in the UK and are not related to my degree at all.:) Is there any chance of a grant or some sort of funding . The MA would be in Acting / Theatre in London , would the aul Arts Council like to give me a few shillings?- probably not ,considering the state of the place but maybe you never know , if they think they are getting rid of a sponger like myself.
Any advice lads?
Thanks
Whathappen?

No.

You can get it for professional development(MA is not considered professional development) if you are an established artist though. They are generally really hard to get unless you are well known in a professional capacity for previous work and can demonstrate your importance to the cultural output of the municpal, provincial or federal body you are applying to. This applies to Ireland and England and pretty much everywhere I think.

Also, why would the Irish Arts Council give you money to study in England?......Have a look at their website, it's pretty comprehensive.

The "funding" you can receive in UK and Northern Ireland is essentially a loan from the government no? As opposed to a grant which doesn't have to be repaid?

Hey
Any advice lads?
Thanks
Whathappen?

I think Irish students can study in Scotland and most of the course fees are wavered, really not too sure about it though but might be worth checking out.

Hey
Any advice lads?
Thanks
Whathappen?
not sure if your course is eligible but email the british council in dublin and explain your situation. there are some grants available for postgrad stuff in the UK. closing dates for most are early though, jan-march, so better getting in there early. think the college international office probably would know whats available too

maybe contact the AHRC - http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/Pages/default.aspx

not 100% sure if they fund Irish people studying in the UKKK

http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.gold.ac.uk/ahrc/

I got AHRC funding for my MA at UCL last year. The system changed this year so you'd be as well to contact the graduate tutor at the department where you hope to study. They should be able to tell you what type of application you need to make (some awards are given to students based on panel interviews by the department where you hope to study while others are awarded directly by the AHRC).

Unfortunately EU students who haven't been living in the UK for four years prior to their application are eligible for a fees only grant. Although that's not to be sniffed at as I ended up saving over £3000 thanks to the award.

So (and sorry to hi-jack this thread), if I were to go to college in the UK to do a postgraduate diploma or an Msc, would I be able to get funding somehow? Even one of those Government loans? Even if I already have an Msc?

God, I'm definitely going to check this out. I'm off to Sussex for my MA and assumed I wouldn't get anything. You can apply for a maintenence only HEG grant with your local authority.

Jesus I went to the AHRC website and I have NEVER been more confused in my life about if I can apply/what I'm applying for/how to apply. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFUCLT?

God, I'm definitely going to check this out. I'm off to Sussex for my MA and assumed I wouldn't get anything. You can apply for a maintenence only HEG grant with your local authority.

Agreed about the AHRC website, it's a nightmare, but worth the hard work if you get funding. Maybe have a word with the graduate tutor on your MA. They should be able to tell you if the department has Block Grant Funding (which means they have at least one AHRC grant per year) or if you need to make a separate application.

i was helping someone today develop a proposal for PHD funding from the AHRC.

I'm now drinking bourbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back