Grammar Q&A (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
  1. The tree is cut down
  2. The tree has been cut down
Are both of these sentences ok or is 1 a grammatically incorrect way of saying 2?

Sanks. I look forward to learning from having all my other grammar errors pointed out to me.

1. The tree is cut down
  2. The tree has been cut down
Are both of these sentences ok or is 1 a grammatically incorrect way of saying 2?

Sanks. I look forward to learning from having all my other grammar errors pointed out to me.

The second one sounds right to me. The first one doesn't. Any use?!

I think the tree is felled would be a better way to say it...

In fact if you put 'The tree is cut down' into Google translate, it translates it into German as 'Der Baum wird gefällt'. If you re-translate that back into English, it translates it back as 'the tree is felled.'

I am trying to figure out how to construct the passive voice and say what the subject of the sentence undergoes rather than what it does. I think the subject in this case is the tree.

"The tree fell" would be active, I think, and straightforward.
"the tree is falling"
"the tree falls"
"The tree has fallen"
"the tree is fallen"

I don't know how I'm going to get this if I don't even know what makes sense in English

There both valid I think but I would guess it depends on how they are being used if the sentence was addressing someone in particular then I think the second one would be more correct. The second one is more past tense but it would possible to use the first like "the tree is cut down now and I don't think the garden can ever be the same" but on its own it is a bit short or to matter of fact they are both a bit short really also "that tree is cut down" is maybe another way. Felling would be the more technical term for tree cutting which sounds maybe a bit old fashioned.

don't know why but i am reminded of this scene

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and that's a good thing

Both are valid, both are in the passive voice.
The first is present simple passive, the second is present perfect passive.

To my reading, the first sounds like something you would say directly after the tree is cut down - i.e. like Nooly, I could imagine hearing something like that in a nature documentary as the tree falls on screen. The second form is more open ended: "at some time in the recent past".

Compare with "dinner is served" and "dinner has been served".

Edit: grammar - the difference in meaning between present simple passive and present perfect passive - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

From reading that link, if you want to "say what the subject of the sentence undergoes" I think you need to go with 'the tree has been cut down'.

4f2c041c90b314f36924c23a3b532ab1.jpg

I think I have it!

In 1 'cut down' functions as a description (an adjective maybe?), in 2 it's a verb. This is probably what nooly was explaining. Maybe you can use the same same sentences in in either context but I think it's probably the verb thing I'm trying to get to grips with for now.

Thanks to all, and congratulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back