Government backdating new income levy rates to start of year (1 Viewer)

Anyone who received a lump sum payment in the first four months of the year – such as a bonuses, which are traditionally paid in the first quarter or dividends – may be affected by the move.

This doesn't effect PAYE workers. Seems to be an effort to claw back money from people who doctored their income to take a lot of it in before the budget.

It's still a disgrace. I reckon it's quite possibly illegal. In the meantime, the Cabinet are keeping their bonuses, despite what Frankenstein said in the budget. It's only for new entrants, apparently. Wonder if that applies to mortgage relief, et al.

Load of wank.

how does this work?

Company directors, people who received a lump sum bonus in the first three months of the year, dividends etc. They must suspect that a lot of people, legitimately or otherwise, front-loaded their pay for the year into the first three months to avoid new taxes. Goff may well be right though, could be illegal and create a lot of resentment.

I doubt severance pay will be included. Though you wouldn't know with that shower of fuckers. However, people who are getting severance pay are "more than likely" to be PAYE and it excludes them. But, as I say, they'll try to find a way to screw the genuine person, rather than their non-tax-paying "friends".

it's a f**kin disgrace if i get taxed on my severance pay.
it's not like it's a golden handshake to f**k off like the big bankers got. this is survival money for me. dole money is worth nothing!

redundancy payments are taxed much lighter than income, if it's your first one in five years or summat. dunno how the levy affects them, though.

Tough on the redundant alright. Downright mean, I reckon. Bonsai, how are you going to afford sandwiches?
Fair enough if it's used to head off avoidance.

"While statutory redundancy payments are not subject to the income levy, as are certain ex gratia payments, many of those taking voluntary redundancy pay the levy on part of their lump sum. They will now be paying more than the 1 per cent levy they initially assumed to be their maximum exposure under the levy"

i wouldn't think moving your bonuses forward would be illegal, like the budget wasn't announced or anything, just rumours at that stage, you couldn't prove anything. "just fancied a top up in spring"

So they've clarified this

A statement from the Department said that PAYE taxpayers "who are not in a position to manipulate their income only pay levy at new rates from 1st May 2009. Over the whole year they pay at composite rate."

Sounds ok to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back