Gliese 581d here we come (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
A rocky world orbiting a nearby star was confirmed as the first planet outside our Solar System to meet key requirements for sustaining life.

Modelling of planet Gliese 581d shows it has the potential to be warm and wet enough to nurture Earth-like life, scientists have said. It orbits a red dwarf star called Gliese 581, located around 20 light years from Earth, which makes it one of our closest neighbours.

Gliese 581d orbits on the outer fringes of the star's 'Goldilocks zone', where it is not so hot that water boils away, nor so cold that water is perpetually frozen. Instead, the temperature is just right for water to exist in liquid form.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4321/first-habitable-exoplanet-confirmed

hmm

A spaceship travelling close to light speed would take more than 20 years to get there, while our present rocket technology would take 300,000 years.
how are our deep-space sleep projects coming along?

We could bombard them with light signals in the meantime. How fast do the TV signals travel?
Speed of Light.

IIR there was a group of scientists who shot a very powerful laser toward a nearby star a few years ago. There was pretty widespread annoyance/outrage at the time, the reasong being that it is rash to broadcast your location in that manner, and I think there is some sort of agreement internationally that this not be done again.

Speed of Light.

IIR there was a group of scientists who shot a very powerful laser toward a nearby star a few years ago. There was pretty widespread annoyance/outrage at the time, the reasong being that it is rash to broadcast your location in that manner, and I think there is some sort of agreement internationally that this not be done again.

I believe all of our tv signals have been going in to space, or at least all the ones up until digital broadcasting began. I think those ones are not going into space. its strange to think someone on Gliese 581d could be following all the goings on here and then one day loose the signal just because we've gone digital. I think there was an amusing comedy made about aliens picking up these broadcasts and thinking they were real life on earth.

Speed of Light.

Seems like a terrible idea, we should definitely hide until we have the technological capability to utterly annihilate them, the damn aliens.

Remember that film Contact that was real exciting, especially when you thought we had been contacted by an alien race composed entirely of nazis?

But then it turned into a really shit film.

Do you remember that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back