Glasto 07 - Sunday (last one!) (1 Viewer)

krossie

krossie is blaming it on a. the sunshine b. the mo
Website
www.ilovephilosophy.com
Part 3 Sunday (alert alert – boring section follows!)

Sunday dawns with rain and low moral. Myself and Paul sit in the nice Lost Vagueness crepe joint and speculate about staying there all day.
It has this advantage – dryness.
Finally a plan is roughly hatched to take in a few bands in our local hood are but that treks to the likes of the Go Team or Cold Cut are not happening – Dame Shirley Bassey is out – diamante wellies or not!

We bum around the Bimble Inn in the Avolon field and the sun comes out and its quite warm and there’s mud wrestling which leaves me quite happy. Also they have Jameson, which leaves me even happier. Ah the simple pleasures!

The first band we dragged ourselves along to were a quite diverting mix of folk and electronic and, almost, rave betimes. They were called Tunng – I thought they were good – particularly liked the homemade bass thingy with the giant elastic band played by a lad they’d only just met – bespeaks confidence but seems like such instant collaborations are quite common in the “folk world”

The band I was most looking forward to were Tinariwen. OK y’all know the deal – a gun toating rebel band of fierce nomadic Tuareg desert tribesmen, no place to call there own – trained in Moammar al-Qadhafi's camps – traded guitars for AK47s and so on. They are ferociously good – playing a low key but gradually building set. They sounded something like seven Rory Gallaghers on a blissed out mellow buzz of a Sunday afternoon– except for the scarfs and robes of course! Very blues rock driven but yet subtly African in a way couldn’t quite put yer finger on – OK maybe it was the chanting! Thoroughly enjoyable.
After a bit of a gap me favourite gypsy crooners Beirut are on. They were lucky by all accounts after a fierce taxi fuckup left them almost in the middle of nowhere. I looked the off kilter lutes and ukuleles and the lovely, lovely melancholy trumpet sounds – quite as good as their album. The lead singer is a bit mad though! Finally for the Jazz Field Amp Fiddler – I dunno it sounded OK if you just swayed around clicking your fingers and occasionally muttered “sophisticated” to yourself (give it a go – works for most jazz funk!) It was quite slick, very slick’ in fact, but, at the end of the day, not shockingly original or innovative – but he worked the small wet crowd very well…

Darkness descending and for some crazy reason myself and Paul decided to take a gander at Kila – who of course you can see any old day in Dublin! But they were (in fairness)on top form! I’ve only seen them twice before I think but it was a mesmerising set in a gradually filling Avalon stage. Oh the percussion, the harmonies – the intensity, the tunes, the “progging” out (very, very prog) – the battering with percussion (at one stage every one of them was simultaneously battering something and signing!) I especially enjoyed that gorgeous tune “Glan na scamill amach as mo chroi” (clean the cloud out from my heart! It works I tell ya!) The crusties began to filter in – it was fun. The rain resumed its tiny patters…
After this (for some strange reason) nothing would do us but to go and see a weird band combining Elizabethan courtly music, traditional medivial ballads and spacey seventies rock. They’re called Circulus (http://www.myspace.com/circulus). Sounds like it could be awful doesn’t it? Sounds like the “outer limits” part of pulling yer wire magazine gone mental eh?!?
No actually they were well worth the horrific attempts to slide up the muddy slope of park and the standing around in the rain – because they were actually extremely entertaining and certainly fairly tongue in cheek – me-lord.
After that wandered home via the upper parts (Stone circle, Green field etc) there by avoiding any crazed mobs from the Who and the Chemical brothers! After that it was huddling in tents listening to a seven hour down pour, packing up tents in pouring rain, standing freezing for three hours before escaping to Bristol.
From what I understand we were among the lucky ones. Glasto – hard to get into and even harder to get out off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back