Giving Presentations (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

...sucks ass.

this week i have to give two: one on Machiavelli's The Prince and one on Stephen Gardiner, who was archbishop of Worchester in 1546 (or something)

havent even started researching them yet... it's gotten to the point where im having dreams in which i make a complete idiot of myself in front of a room full of people... PLUS i dont have pants on in any of the dreams...

so today im going to "knuckle down", as they say in the business. I was hoping to have a Friday The 13th marathon but that's out the window now. balls.

I hate the things aswell.

Luckily Ive only had one group one to do so far this year,hopefully this trend wile continue for the rest of the course.Very unlikely though.

Alan Remorse said:
...sucks ass.

this week i have to give two: one on Machiavelli's The Prince and one on Stephen Gardiner, who was archbishop of Worchester in 1546 (or something)

havent even started researching them yet... it's gotten to the point where im having dreams in which i make a complete idiot of myself in front of a room full of people... PLUS i dont have pants on in any of the dreams...

so today im going to "knuckle down", as they say in the business. I was hoping to have a Friday The 13th marathon but that's out the window now. balls.

I always thought that Machiavelli's The Prince and St. Sir Thomas More's Utopia mark a starting point between the crystallisation of right and left wing ideals.
They were both written at the start of the 16th century. Utopia focuses on a grand ideal of a state that works in a harmony. The Prince is a handbook for personal success.

Don't worry about presentations. Thing of them like essays you have to act out.

jaysis I hate presentations too. but I always just tel myself, everyone else has to do a presentation too so they are probably jus thinking of their own rather than listening to you plus if you mess up they will be relieved cos it means they won't be the only ones messing up. I have a big one to do in March and i am already stressed oout about it, disaster.

The said:
jaysis I hate presentations too. but I always just tell myself, everyone else has to do a presentation too so they are probably jus thinking of their own rather than listening to you plus if you mess up they will be relieved cos it means they won't be the only ones messing up. I have a big one to do in March and i am already stressed oout about it, disaster.

My old college really got the horn when it came to presentations. Always with the presentations. They were usually done in pairs though so I never minded. Just imagine you had to listen to yourself and watch yourself - what woudl you want to see? If you go up and you're mumbling at the floor and just reading slides straight off the wall then poeple are just going to wish you'd drop dead. You'll feel their stinging hate rays beaming onto your body. But if you go up, smile, act cheerful, let them know you don't love being there but are goign to make the best of it and entertain them (not a la Coco the Clown, but just in a reasonable fashion) then they'll be glad you're there, it'll all pass more quickly for everyone, and they'll possibly have a little more respect for you afterwards.

That said, if you're completely weeing yourself at the concept of standing in front of a crowd then the above advice might not be particuarly good. In that case, just imagine when you're sitting there watching other poeple talking at the top of the room - you dont think they look like martians do ye? No, you think they seem pretty normal and you're probably not judging them. That's how they're going to see you too. It's logical.

well, finished with machiavelli anyway. twas pretty easy in fairness. now for that cunt gardiner.

I had to do one in college.....in german.....about a manned mission to mars..... wasn't too bad.

But my mate had an awful one. Left it to the last minute, got newspaper from library and did it about a comet, think it was Hale-Bop or something (about '98).....what he didn't realise it had already happened, but the paper was months old so he did the whole thing in the future tense rather than past! That was just the start, he kicked it off, pulled a piece of chalk out of his pocket, turned to the blackboard which was in fact a whiteboard!
Then the lecturer asked him how far away it is, instead of making up any old distance he just blurts out, in english "ehhhh, dunno". All the poor bastard could think of was the girl at the back he fancied and how much of an idiot he looked. Had to take him to the pub after, don't think i've ever seen anyone shaking so much!!

Alan Remorse said:
...sucks ass.

presentations are a load of bollix.

i've got one tomorrow,

and a debate on wednesday.

a fucking DEBATE!!

what's the use?

roxy said:
Always with the presentations. They were usually done in pairs though
cool! i hope you used this opportunity to its full potential.

Kris_kross.jpg

I used to share a house with this German fella - he was a bit mad to say the least.

Anyway, he was doing a history degree a couple of years previous to when I was living with him. He was in the third year of his degree and he was given an assignment by his tutor to give a presentation on German history between 1840 and 1870. He was a studious sort and took to the task with great gusto.

So along comes the day of the presentation. Now, this wasn't a big affair as there were only four or five people in the room. Nevertheless, this German fella knew how to put on a show.

He went into great detail about the history of Germany during this period and then he points out to his minute audience:
"And in 1841, the German national anthem was written...

and now I shall sing it for you".

And he then proceeds to sing the entire German national anthem in front of four people.

Milo Minderbinder said:
I used to share a house with this German fella - he was a bit mad to say the least.

Anyway, he was doing a history degree a couple of years previous to when I was living with him. He was in the third year of his degree and he was given an assignment by his tutor to give a presentation on German history between 1840 and 1870. He was a studious sort and took to the task with great gusto.

So along comes the day of the presentation. Now, this wasn't a big affair as there were only four or five people in the room. Nevertheless, this German fella knew how to put on a show.

He went into great detail about the history of Germany during this period and then he points out to his minute audience:
"And in 1841, the German national anthem was written...

and now I shall sing it for you".

And he then proceeds to sing the entire German national anthem in front of four people.

uber alles, man. uber fuckin alles in der Welt, man.

i have a presentation every bloody week. today's the last though. releationship between the heroine of sensibility and gwendolen outta daniel deronda. hurray!!!

valium5pil.jpg

but seriously, do bear in mind that lecturers / tutors / students (cos they have to do it as well) are for the most part gonna take into account general nervousness or even social anxiety. it is tough, but once you find yourself up there just get it over with (just reading out is fine enough) and it will seem to fly by. the worst of it really is just waiting for it to happen, just precautionary adrenalin. best of luck to any and all here who have to do one, it'll be grand. and in fact, you may find it to be enjoyable afterward

so i did one today. scared the shit outta me. went fine though.

how about yours?

i found myself trying reason why. y'know...you're standing there saying to yourself

"ah come on i don't get nervous about this kind of thing... what the fuck?"

hijacking presentations threads is almost as bad as asking questions at the end of a presentation that are in fact just a long story about yourself instead of a pointed question.

now it's time to !zed

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back