Gigs selling out in record time. (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
What's the story with gigs selling out of late in nanoseconds? Do alot of bands play venues too small? The latest one I can think of is Arcade Fire. That sold out in seconds flat. Are there alot of touts on the ball with the buying of huge amounts of tickets? I can't understand why it happens with such regularity otherwise.

People were giving out stink about those Orcade Foire shows selling out in a minute and a half or something, because an upper limit was imposed of FIFTY tickets per buyer thus making it piss-easy for the touts to rake in as many as they could get. Once you have an automated online system for selling tickets it's eminently possible to sell out a high-demand show in a couple of minutes, because there's no physical limitation to the speed they go at (i.e. actually having to queue in a line), the disadvantage being that their web interface pretty much turns it into a total lottery.

Ticketmaster are threatening to invalidate tickets sold on ebay - I'd be interested to see how they plan on identifying them.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWSNEYEYGBSN

Meanwhile, in the states they're planning on curtting out the middleman entirely and running their own auctions for "premium" tickets for some big name events.

PS the MCD rule still applies here.

Ticketmaster are threatening to invalidate tickets sold on ebay - I'd be interested to see how they plan on identifying them.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWSNEYEYGBSN

Meanwhile, in the states they're planning on curtting out the middleman entirely and running their own auctions for "premium" tickets for some big name events.

PS the MCD rule still applies here.

I used to work in the head office - there's loads of ways of identifying a ticket. i think ticketmaster are presuming that (as is the case a lot of the time) if a ticket is being sold on ebay they will have a picture of the ticket on the site. There are loads of little codes on the tickets that people wouldnt even pay attention too - so if you can make out the code you can enter it into the system and cancel it / identify it on line as touted.

It does of course mean that it only works if the ticket has a 'working' barcode in the first place - and that the touts use the ticket they intend to sell as the picture on ebay... and that the codes can be made out.

there's talk of the same thing coming in over here this year sometime

Obviously a lot more people are interested in going to see live music, which really should be a good thing. I think the question should why are Ireland's promoters not catering for the demand?

Yours etc, etc,

glasto is attempting to cut out the tout by making anyone looking to go this year, register their name and provide a passport size image of themselves before buying a ticket. nor too sure how exactly it all works though...
chip and pin concert tickets? i dunno.

EDIT: just seen the above post now.

It's bad enough, the price of the tickets in the first place.

If ticketmaster/MCD are that concerned,why can't they scan a passport sized photo of you onto the ticket with your name at point of purchase. If you buy the ticket at a booth,you hand in your photo // if you buy online, you submit your photo along with your card details and if necessary,your mates photo's, if you are purchasing more than one ticket.(One of the English festivals are doing this now i think).

There might be a small administration overhead associated here but that's shouldn't be an issue, we are paying well over the odds for tickets anyway.

"hoi fionn, did ya ever hear of the orcade foire, their gnarly...just got 50 tickets on daddsys credit card. lets get the goiys out, get blotto and head for loik redz or howl after."

glasto is attempting to cut out the tout by making anyone looking to go this year, register their name and provide a passport size image of themselves before buying a ticket. nor too sure how exactly it all works though...
chip and pin concert tickets? i dunno.

maybe if punters were chipped - then it might be a bit easier to regulate, like with these new fancy tattoos

maybe if punters were chipped - then it might be a bit easier to regulate

You just que up for the gig and walk thru the gates and as your scanned 50 quid (plus service charge) is deducted from your bank account... very Brave New World... I'd say MCD would go for that...

[edit]

especially if the MCD chip released an electric shock to the system if you went to an Aiken gig... that'd soon condition some brand loyalty into the masses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back