Giant mutant ant colony found in Australia (1 Viewer)

Wavioli said:
JESUS! electrical equipment? how... why... :confused:

do they just always spill their coffee on it when theyre around or what?
they divert power lines to their giant underground labs where they are growing giant warrior ants.

anyone ever read 'surely you're joking, mr feynman?'

amongst other things, he figured out how ants walk in line. very interesting.

ratmonkey said:
And there I was thinking one of that fucker was bad enough...
The Adaptive Evolution of Ants
Picnickers are very familiar with ants. It seems that within 20 minutes or less after sitting down to a snack in virtually any city park around the world, these insects begin to swarm one’s blanket with ever-greater numbers. It has been estimated that ants represent a far greater proportion of the biomass in New York’s Central Park than do humans. In fact, ants alone constitute more than 20 percent of the terrestrial biomass in Brazil’s amazon rainforests, a region famous for its incredible diversity of life (Wilson 1978, p.13).

Ants don’t just affect humans. Red Imported Fire Ant, Solonopsis invicta, first was introduced to the United States in about 1929 at Mobile, Alabama. This species has since spread north to Tennessee, west to Texas, and East to Florida and the Carolinas (Vinson 1997). In the process, nearly all other species of native ants have been driven away (Morris 1993). These ants have become the dominant predators of invertebrates in areas in which they are entrenched, and significantly lower species diversity. They have also been known to attack turtles, chameleons, snakes, newborn birds, and small mammals (Vinson 1997). Water-bird nesting success has been reported to be down 34% in areas infested with S. invicta (Dickinson 1995).

Ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) are one of the most dominant families of organisms on the planet. How did ants evolve? Why, from an evolutionary point of view, do worker and soldier ants give their lives to protect the colony and its queen(s)? Do individuals of other social species behave in a similar way for similar reasons?

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~jm703496/es-antevln.html

Everything I know about ants I learnt from this:

simant.gif

Had a massive book about ants with it too, as I recall.

snakybus said:
yeah that Feynman book is great, film not so good (Matthew Broderick)
no way! i didnt know there was a movie. sounds crap. i'll add this to my list of book adaptations that i never want to see, along with Manufacturing Consent and Heart Of Darkness (with ray liotta- wtf... shudder)

Australia is just too damn uninhabitable. killer spiders, mutant (killer) ants, killer snakes, mutant killer snakes, dingos, sharks, crocs.

oh yeah and the heat.

avernus said:
Australia is just too damn uninhabitable. killer spiders, mutant (killer) ants, killer snakes, mutant killer snakes, dingos, sharks, crocs.

oh yeah and the heat.
yeah i was bitten by a white tail spider while workin in sydney. luckily it was a wee baby one, otherwise a large part of my arm would have basically rotted into this weird white scar tissue!
white_tail_male.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back