Getting Photos off a Canon 20D (1 Viewer)

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Hey,

I have been shooting pictures with a Canon 20D and having sporadic problems getting them off the camera into my Mac. I usually use Lightroom (beta version 3) and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I boot up LR with the camera connected to the computer, it recognises it, and shows me previews of all the images on the camera/card. I hit import and then it looks it starts importing, but then stops, and LR reverts to whatever was last imported into the library, and fails to see that the camera is connected - like it just loses the connection. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it works fine.

I have no problem importing using iPhoto (same card, same pics) but that doesn't import in RAW format so it's not much use to me.

What should I do? Is this a bug in the beta of Lightroom 3? Is there some Canon software I should download to just get the things in RAW off the camera and onto my disk?

Just get a card reader, the cheap ones are grand and the faster ones are faster. I never bother with the Canon software.

Ah lads .. I don't want to be going buying something!

Anyway, cheers .... but I solved it by using Adobe Bridge instead. I reckon there's a bug on that beta version of lightroom.

Card reader is your best bet dude, cuts out the middle man.

You can get card readers in the 2 euro shop so you've no excuse!

PS, why not just use iPhoto? I import RAW files with iPhoto all the time then reference them with Aperture

PS, why not just use iPhoto? I import RAW files with iPhoto all the time then reference them with Aperture

I'm pretty sure iPhoto converts them from RAW into JPEG or something. I assumed you could stop it doing that and just tell it to import them as RAW but I can't find how to set that in the preferences ...

I just checked there, all my photo's are .NEF files which is Nikon's format for RAW. I don't remember changing anything in iPhoto prefs to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back