getting around net restrictions at work. (1 Viewer)

wageslave

Theres free wifi at work for members of the public. I use it to browse the web on my phone (N95) during breaks but want to be able to use it to download things like torrents.

They block certain websites and I reckon certain apps too - at least I can't connect with Symtorrent.

Does this make sense? Does anyone know how I could work around the restrictions on apps?

i wouldn't go near a work connection with a bargepole if you wanted to download torrents. people have been let go in here for doing it, afaik.

SSH tunnelling can work wonders

cool, thanks, i'll look into that. I was kinda hoping there was something I could do on my phone so that my torrent software would use the same port or whateverthefuckyoke that my web browser uses thus fooling the network. .. Does that make any sort of sense?

i wouldn't go near a work connection with a bargepole if you wanted to download torrents. people have been let go in here for doing it, afaik.

Its where I work but its actually a public wifi hotspot - literally hundreds of people a day use it for free. Theres no password or nothing. I'd be accessing it from my phone whnen on breaks- not a work pc. Theres no way they wouldn't think it was just a member of the public.

Unless someone showed them this thread ... :eek:

... let me rephrase. I am a member of the public who uses a public wifi network blah blah blah

Which sites are blocked and what comes up when you try and access them?
Usually if you want to torrent on a restricted connection you just turn all all of the encryption and set it to port 80.
Maybe try and spoof your MAC address too for extra security if you're paranoid!

Which sites are blocked and what comes up when you try and access them?

Its not actually blocked sites that bother me, its just that apps don't work. For example say I wanted to download some music. I could download the torrent file using my data connection from metoer. It'd be cool if I could use the public wifi to actually download the album itself though. (Downloading other than very small files would probably cost me an arm and a leg).

Usually if you want to torrent on a restricted connection you just turn all all of the encryption and set it to port 80.

Ok, have changed port and will try that. What encryption would I be turning off?

Cheers for this!

I don't understand why an open router has sites that are blocked?
Is the router owned by your work?
Either way it's dodgy, definitely spoof your MAC if this is the case.

Try turning on all of the encryption on your torrent app and wait about 10mins.

Have you tried using Soulseek or Limewire?

Ok, I know nothing about nothing and am being very unclear.

My job has public wifi. There are restrictions on it - it blocks some sites and applications.

I access it using my phone. Its a Nokia N**. The torrent program I use is SymTorrent.

I can't access the router.

I changed the default port that SymTorrent uses on my phone.

you need plug an play turned on on the router.
otherwise you wont be able to open end forward the port you need.

without doing that torrents are very very slow.

do you get a webpage saying a site is blocked?

hold on a sec are you trying to run a torrent on your phone ????

is it likely that work networks block ftp access? im trying to use fireftp but i dunno if i have the connection details wrong or if its blocked or if im just doing it wrong

is it likely that work networks block ftp access? im trying to use fireftp but i dunno if i have the connection details wrong or if its blocked or if im just doing it wrong

yes

first rule of firewalls is disable everything, then turn on what you need to have turned on. Do you need FTP to get your job done? If not then there's no reason for you to have access to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back