George Clinton (1 Viewer)

They may not be the prettiest of boys but those lads do know how to work a crowd!!
George had everyone going apeshit in the sweaty box last night.
Nice herbal smell in there too!

He had some original members alright, but it was a goddamned great show.
(no mothership though)

zehner (18 Jul, 2001 03:55 p.m.):
They may not be the prettiest of boys but those lads do know how to work a crowd!!

Ooh, I dunno, that guy in the American flag t-shirt with the tambourine was a fine bit of phwoarr.

I thought there was a lot of unnecessary noodling, but when they rocked they really mutherfuckin' *rocked* (which, paradoxcailly was when they were funkin' rather than rockin'). Sheesh, listen to me, one night of P-Funk adn I'm talking like an eejit.

Did it actually go on for 5 hours?
Not sure I'd've managed that.
Plus the £33 entrance fee.
Was it in the style of P-Funk mayhem or his duffer LP on Paisley Park?

4 hours, at least half an hour of which was his band without him. Most of it sounded authentically funky inna 70s stylee, some of it sounded well naff. It was bloody expensive, but when it's so long and there's so many musicians to get paid I don't really mind shelling out (you can tell this is Lolo-with-a-day-job talking, those words would not have issued forth of the keyboard of doley-studenty-Lolo).

Didn't catch the P-Funk master, but did anyone see Jurassic 5 on Wednesday? The show was chock full of hip-hop cliches but they were excellent. Tragically short (1h 5mins) and at nearly 19 quid, another shining example of nefarious promotion in dirty old Dublin.

an hour and 15 is quite long in hip hop gigs though, innit? at least in european terms.
wasn't that missy elliot gig in london 25 minutes long or something, and tickets were £22.

i heard about that gig...she only 'played'
around 3 songs (which took around 20 minutes) and then pranced around the stage for about an hour thanking everyone...kissing roadies and stuff.
bleedin rip off alright....

At least she turned up...unlike the Wu Tang Clan on more than one occassion.
Hip hop gigs are notoriously shite and unreliable.
The Roots are the glorious exception, being one of the best live bands on the planet.

Speaking of which, did anyone go to see Rahzel? He works brilliantly within the context if the Roots' show, but I'd be sceptical of his ability to pull off a decent gig on his own.

65 mins is pretty short, but Tommy Boy the previous week went on til about 4 in the Music Centre! It was actually more like a showcase than a gig, they performed segments of songs rather than the whole lot.
There was also a Missy Elliott loved-up vibe in that they stayed on the stage for about 40 minutes afterwards just signing autographs! They could've been playing!

I blame the Irish boys who put 5 acts after the main one, it was a bit much, but well worth the 17.50 I paid in road.

The Irish hiphop was actually very good, but I didn't stay for it all.

Also, Sad Underground Music Types should note:
If your wondering where the top totty is (i.e. girls), and why their not at your Damien Frost/Large mound gigs, it's because their hiding out in the HipHop clubs keepin fit by shakin there booties ALL NITE LONG

Many a fine, fine booty was being shaken at J5. And MC Supernatural was awesome. He managed to fit the words squeegee, polo mints, IRA, contraceptives and chewing gum into the one rap. And there were many fine bootys. Or booties.

I'm sorry, but someone has to do it

http://www.theonion.com/onion3307/clintondropsdabomb.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back