gather in the mushrooms.. (2 Viewers)

the departed

i picked this up recently. its a lovely compilation of english acid folk music from '68 to '74 on sanctuary recs.
its a pretty comprehensive starting point for getting into the british psych folk scene. some really really nice stuff from the likes of comus, bert jansch, pentangle, heron et.

some very inspiring stuff. about to check out the 'early morning hush' compilation which is from the same series..

can anyone recommend a definitive comus album?

and other english psych folk suggestions..?

can anyone recommend a definitive comus album?

and other english psych folk suggestions..?[/quote]

COMUS_FU_COV.jpg

the re-issue of "First Utterance" is pretty comprehensive.

other good stuff from that era (not just uk stuff) -

Trees Community
Silmaril
Forest
Emma Myldenberger
Dr. Strangely Strange
Loudest Whisper

there's loads of this kinda stuff (mainly outta print stuff) up here -

http://time-has-told-me.blogspot.com/

and here -

http://fantasy0807.blogspot.com/

:)

grand, just ordered first untterance 2XLP there. its pretty cheap too.

ill take a gander at the blogs later.
cheers!

Tea And Symphony rules!

Early Morning Hush kept getting postponed and had a different tracklisting to the one originally proposed. it's good though.

Comus - Song To Comus: The Complete Collection double disc is great.

Trees - Trees LP and The Garden of Jane Delawney LP

Mr Fox - Join Us In Our Game: The Anthology has both albums.

Forest - Forest / Full Circle. Two discs.

Various - Anthems In Eden. Four CD set. GREAT.

There's a compilation series called Fading Yellow. Nine volumes. Quite expensive - picked each up gradually over time and got the last want a few weeks ago. Cover a wide spectrum.

Also recommend The Rubble Collections. Ten discs in each. Psych but not really folky.

More

Fresh Maggots - Hatched LP. Fantastic.

Loudest Whisper - Children Of Lir.

That Mellow Candle LP. If you have a spare £800.

Ultimately when collecting this stuff you have three choices.

1) Original vinyl. Expensive and be prepared for a dogfight every time they come on ebay.

2) Reissued vinyl.

3) CDs

For me 1) is the most attractive option but only for certain titles otherwise I'd be bankrupt.

Not much between 2) and 3). A reissue is a reissue whether it's CD or vinyl.

1) Original vinyl. Expensive and be prepared for a dogfight every time they come on ebay.

2) Reissued vinyl.

3) CDs

For me 1) is the most attractive option but only for certain titles otherwise I'd be bankrupt.

agree with this, alot of the acid folk stuff is really pricey (especially if you start looking at the french stuff too) like Trees -m On the Shore which is top of my wants list and probably will be for many more years, 200 is cheap.

Jansch is a genius, all his and Pentangle albums are very cheap and all well worth check out, never paid over a 10 for an original.

Other cheap ones are the early Strawbs albums, particulary Witchwood. Also Tim Hart & Maddy Prior - Summer Solstice, which is an amazing album.

watch out for some of the vinyl reissues though, seen a few by Sunbeam, dunno if there legit. But i had a listen to the Mark Fry - Dreaming of Alice album, which is also a long time want, and didn't sound great so didn't buy it.

also check out Bread Love and Dreams and Synanthesia....

but saying that a good cd reissue worth getting as it has a full unreleased album on it is Rick Haywards s/t album, its magic stuff.

there's some good on here
http://psychedelicfolk.homestead.com/Psychedelicfolk.html

agree with this, alot of the acid folk stuff is really pricey (especially if you start looking at the french stuff too) like Trees -m On the Shore which is top of my wants list and probably will be for many more years, 200 is cheap.

Jansch is a genius, all his and Pentangle albums are very cheap and all well worth check out, never paid over a 10 for an original.

Other cheap ones are the early Strawbs albums, particulary Witchwood. Also Tim Hart & Maddy Prior - Summer Solstice, which is an amazing album.

watch out for some of the vinyl reissues though, seen a few by Sunbeam, dunno if there legit. But i had a listen to the Mark Fry - Dreaming of Alice album, which is also a long time want, and didn't sound great so didn't buy it.

also check out Bread Love and Dreams and Synanthesia....

but saying that a good cd reissue worth getting as it has a full unreleased album on it is Rick Haywards s/t album, its magic stuff.

there's some good on here
http://psychedelicfolk.homestead.com/Psychedelicfolk.html

those first two Strawbs LPs are excellent. The Pentangle LPs tend to be affordable alright - given that they sold well at the time.

A lot of vinyl reissues are shoddy with poor sound quality. Those Scott Walker albums on Four Men With Beards for example. You're far better off spending an extra 10 or 15 and picking up an VG++ / EX original. Or buy the CD for just a few euro.

nice site Mici, looks cool.

That Mellow Candle LP. If you have a spare £800.

2) Reissued vinyl.

3) CDs

I do keep an eye out for interesting music but I wouldn't really consider meself a collector because I'm just not willing to pay big money for records/cd's. The most I have spent on a particular cd (it's all cds for me) was €40-50 and that was a piece for the nuggets 1 and 2 boxsets second hand, worth every cent.

I can't beliece The Incredible String Band are getting no love in here.

Wee Tam/the big huge is one of my favourite all time records.Picked up the original mono version on ebay for €20ish.Mint condition bargain.
The layers of the onion and Hangmans Beautiful daughter are essential too.Srsly.

Pentangle are brilliant.Was anyone at the gig they played in the olympia that time?Great night.

Fairport Convention are class too.Not really Psyche though.

Theres a great record by a dude called Sandy Bull from around 66 worth checking out.Cant remember the name of it.He's one of these multi instrumentalist cats.

the hangman's beautiful daughter is an amazing album, definitely worth checking out.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and my favourite:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

maybe its cause of the scientology;)
seriously tho they go without mentioning because they were so popular....they were on a major label back in the day! And a newly discovered recording just came out too.

i'm guessin this thread is more about low-key/under-exposed stuff....

Pentangle's "Basket of Light" is psych-folkyy....probably their best album!? not that they were under-appreciated...the first track off the album was the theme tune to a BBC drama! When was their gig in the Olympia?

The second Sweeney's Men album deserves the love in this genre too, if only for "Dreams" and "Standing on the Shore":)
and the cover of the 1976 re-issue is priceless!
3074_1.JPG

Wee Tam/the big huge is one of my favourite all time records.Picked up the original mono version on ebay for €20ish.Mint condition bargain.
The layers of the onion and Hangmans Beautiful daughter are essential too.Srsly.
were wee tam and the big huge one album originally? i have them as two seperate ones. i think i like the big huge a bit better although wee tam has a few tunes that are maybe better than the big huge songs, like the half remarkable question.

anyone like C.O.B.? clive palmers band after he left ISB. the two albums have some great songs

Yeah,its got a mad plain gatefold sleeve on it with all the lyrics printed on it.Its a double lp.ekl4036/37Its cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back