Galway Arts Festival is a wanker (1 Viewer)

Skrankio-X

Website
www.myspace.com
The music is, of course, a load of meh.

But they have bagged Philip Glass to play in St. Nicholas' Cathedral
For €75!
There are not enough curses available.
Bastards, ruthless bastards.

He's playing in Louth two days later for €30.

gah! I'm away then...

Was only having a big whinge about the Galway Arts Festival over the weekend... KT Tunstall... Blondie??? The Dandy Warhols...Ash?

Christ on a bike it all looked so grim until Philip Glass...but 75 euro... *sigh*...

The Louth Contemporary Music Society are the business... they were meant to have John Zorn this year too ... I live in hope!

http://www.louthcms.org/

that is a shocking difference in price. after ready articles recently on how ireland pays above the odds for concerts compared to places in europe the mind boggles that there could 45 quid of a difference on the same island!

The music side of g.a.f has always been a source of frustration. There are mountains of cash available and it's used up on yesterday's wank sock. Must say though, Ash takes the crust of the wank sock pie.. bet their fee is huge too..
You could probably buy every bongo in galway and burn them in a huge pire for the same amount..
that I would pay to see..

Admittedly I don't know the ins and outs of funding a festival or an event however...

LCMS are a non-profit group (huzzah to them!) who consistently bring good shit to people who want to listen... They receive Arts Council Funding hence they can charge Eur30...

Looking at the G.A.F website I see the Arts Council logo there too...and - a MASSIVE list of sponsors:
http://www.galwayartsfestival.com/sponsors.php

and friends, PLATINUM Friends no less:
http://www.galwayartsfestival.com/friends.php

That's a lot of money floating around no? I know someone can set me straight...I'm confused...

It is a weak ass line up for a major arts festival in my opinion - made all the worse knowing people have offered the organisers some amazing alternatives only to be rejected in favour of...Ash.

GAF

It is a bit harsh saying that about Galway arts festival.
Galway have arts council funds and sponsorship but I'm sure Glass' fee is very high
Apparently,Louth CMS have no arts council funding for this, which is even more remarkable. But apparently, they just want to cover the costs of the gig.
I know someone who knows them and they simply want to put on some great music and give people the opportunity to hear these composers/contemporary in local settings. There are only a few people involved in LCMS and they all work for a living, so well done.
Ted

is it that harsh though? €30 without funding versus €75 with funding and sponsorship. regardless of trying to break even or make a profit that's a hell of a price difference. but then, people gladly pay stupid money for gigs these days so whatever..

is it that harsh though? €30 without funding versus €75 with funding and sponsorship. regardless of trying to break even or make a profit that's a hell of a price difference. but then, people gladly pay stupid money for gigs these days so whatever..

Touche salesman

wha? is that a reference to my days as a shoe salesman, because that was a LONG time ago!

Family Guy boss.

Doug:Hello, sir.
Peter Griffin:Enough with the foreplay. What are you selling?
Doug:Well, I was gonna try to sell you some "handsome cream" but I can see you already bought out the store!
Peter Griffin:Go on.
Doug:perhaps you'd be interested in something every homeowner cannot be without.
Doug:Volcano insurance!
Peter Griffin:Go on.
Doug:According to my uncle, who's a real whiz with volcanoes a volcano is coming this way!
Peter Griffin:pETER [Thinking]: I, too, have an uncle.
Peter Griffin:Come in.
Peter Griffin:How much is this volcano insurance?
Doug:I don't know. Let's say, $200.
Peter Griffin:$200? That's more than I spent on all that handsome cream.
Peter Griffin:I don't have that kind of money!
Doug:What about that jar of money?
Peter Griffin:pETER: No way! That's Lois' rainy day fund.
Doug:Come on, it never rains in Rhode Island.
Peter Griffin:Yeah, but I'm pretty sure we've never had a volcano either.
Doug:Well, don't you think we're overdue for one?
Peter Griffin:TOUCHE, salesman.

GAf

All I am saying is Galway may have substantial costs with Glass, and they are trying to cover their costs with 75 euro.
The other thing is that Glass in Galway( €75) has sold out and in dundalk(€30) it hasn't.
I'm not sure what that means though?

But concert prices have gone mad. If you look at Tom Waits, it was 136 euro per seat and it sold out on the day.
Tom is of course with the Anti label.
Anti what I'm not sure but Not anti making a few quid.

Re: GAf

All I am saying is Galway may have substantial costs with Glass, and they are trying to cover their costs with 75 euro.
The other thing is that Glass in Galway( €75) has sold out and in dundalk(€30) it hasn't.
I'm not sure what that means though?

But concert prices have gone mad. If you look at Tom Waits, it was 136 euro per seat and it sold out on the day.

The capacity for St.Nicholas' Church is only about 130 I think

Re: GAf

haha brilliant!
It's true though - I was amazed that people weren't up in arms about that. Seems you can't put a price on idolatry.

It's €30 for a B&B in Dundalk so Galway Arts Festival elitist chancer-bastards can lick my toot. So there.

I always wanted to see Dundalk.

nay as bad as people say, all though i went up a month or so ago and seen a massive fight between some crazy drunk fishermen and a load of E'd up agro polish heads.. proper scrappage, only ended when an over 50 year old fishermen bit of one of the poles ears...

cops told us it wouldn't be safe to leave by the only exit from the docks

it definitly felt like this is exactly what i came to dundalk to see and i wasn't dissapointed

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back