future ideas (1 Viewer)

#10-7

Website
www.delorentos.net
rent a things stall in temple bar square.

it will sell all the music on the stall and anything else.
we have to pay 50 a month, and have to ask the other venders. we will be able to have music playing at low level.

we could also promote local gigs, bands, raise awareness, sell to tourists. we could alternate shifts etc.

gigs in meeting house square (beside TMBC)

its expensive i think, and i'm not too sure about how its booked, but perhaps a once-off gig with a few bands?

outdoor gigs rule.

Excellent ideas. Gave some thought to putting on gigs in Meeting House Square myself back in the early days of Stoat

Would we run the stall on a volunteer or paid basis? Or something else?

I've been thinking that the fairest way to run the money side of things if money ever starts to come in would be to split whatever money's available up between the people involved depending on how many hours they've spent on tym over the period in which the money was made. It'd kinda be unfair for someone to get paid for running the stall in temple bar, but not for doing the stall at gigs (or whatever)

Originally posted by lorcanzo

we have to pay 50 a month, and have to ask the other venders. we will be able to have music playing at low level.

we could also promote local gigs, bands, raise awareness, sell to tourists. we could alternate shifts etc.

gigs in meeting house square (beside TMBC)

its expensive i think, and i'm not too sure about how its booked, but perhaps a once-off gig with a few bands?

outdoor gigs rule.

Both very good ideas - saw the blues festival at meeting house square before and it worked well- potential spot for all day gig that you mentioned.

Stall in temple bar great idea too.

Ok, star pupil, I've printed your post and will now manget it to the fridge in honour of its very goodness.

just to start some debate -
1. do we think the listings are having the desired effect - i.e. are more people coming to the gigs listed?

personally i don't think so. i think part of the reason is that the original idea was to promote good independent gigs - i.e. things what you're missing, but its just turned into a regular gigs listing. my point is that i can't vouch for the quality of half the stuff i put out in the email and have heard back from plenty of people that they simply delete it.

2. is the countrywide distro a goer, is it working anywhere outside dublin and the north? should we just accept that without a markup and without concrete interest in each of the towns that it's not really going to work.

3. the resources side and zine are v. useful informational tools in promoting the independent ethos.

again personally i think this is TYM's strongest area - somewhere along the lines of the CHAT thing - it is a valuable resources and contacts collective. letting people know how to record and release their own music and helping them along the way.

basically what i'm gettin at is that i would like to see less association with particular bands as i think it has become to some extents a closed circle with the same group of people and bands involved at the top end of each project. new bands are asking to get their stuff on the stall and distro but are not getting involved in helping out. i would like to see TYM become associated with promoting independent music but not particular bands. it would still act as a conduit so that ads etc. could still be arranged collectively but maybe without the TYM badge.

sorry to be a negative nelly...

Originally posted by conor
again personally i think this is TYM's strongest area - somewhere along the lines of the CHAT thing - it is a valuable resources and contacts collective. letting people know how to record and release their own music and helping them along the way.

basically what i'm gettin at is that i would like to see less association with particular bands as i think it has become to some extents a closed circle with the same group of people and bands involved at the top end of each project. new bands are asking to get their stuff on the stall and distro but are not getting involved in helping out. i would like to see TYM become associated with promoting independent music but not particular bands. it would still act as a conduit so that ads etc. could still be arranged collectively but maybe without the TYM badge.

sorry to be a negative nelly...

Aye... I agree with that alright.

i think i could explain better what i mean in person but what i'm getting at is that for me the listings\distro\stall don't seem to be doing what we intended originally and in the case of the stall and distro they have meant alot of work for relatively few people.
i think what we're good at is giving advice to people and promoting indepdendent music in general. i think the tour is a great vehicle for this as is the zine as whoever is orgnaising it has complete control over what bands are involved and what content is carried.

Originally posted by lorcanzo

we have to pay 50 a month, and have to ask the other venders. .

Why is it necessary to ask the other vendors? Is it run as some sort of co-op or something ?

Just curious ....

deadly we could rip off southsiders all day. I say we sell albums for ?25 and singles for ?9.

If you've ever bought any veg ther you know what i mean.

If people don't want to be on the listings then they should just remove themselves - it's easy enough. They're useful - particularly to check gig details - no one's going to go to a gig just cos they read it on the listings but if you know there's a settler gig on sometime this week then you can check the listings...

yeah - the informational side of it is good, but the original idea was to encourage people who don't already go to these sort of gigs to check out some of the better independent nights. my point is that i can't vouch for half the stuff that i'm putting up there, alot of these bands just submit their listing and have never been in touch or come to meetings or send in a demo or anything. personally i'd like to be more selective in what we email around. maybe we could just email a selection of gigs each week and then have link to the listings site "for more listings". it's all a bit antiseptic at the moment, where originally it was meant to be a drive to encourage people to come along.

Hmm, good point. I've often sat around wondering what makes people go to gigs - I still can't quite work it out...

You could have a section at the top of the mail - a 'Things Reccommends' bit - and include a paragraph or two about two or three of the gigs happening that week - so then you'd at least know the bands and leave the listings as an informational section.

This might make more people stop and read the listings too - I know if I've got no money or am busy all week I just delete the listings but if I knew there was a bit of interesting info about stuff happening I reckon I'd pause to read that...

I think that the fairly open nature of the listings at the moment is a good thing as it gets people who post new listings to sign up for them and maybe spread the word...

Or you could get rid of the whole listings idea and just send people poetry once a week like Stoat do :D

Originally posted by Anthony
deadly we could rip off southsiders all day. I say we sell albums for ?25 and singles for ?9.

If you've ever bought any veg ther you know what i mean.

Your're thinking of Meeting House Square. THat's the place with the posh veg etc .... Temple Bar Square is the place that has stalls for second-hand books/records and so on ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back