Fucking Hell, London (1 Viewer)

Corm

Website
www.myspace.com
Went and saw this exhibition in London yesterday, fucking blew my head off, most audaciously amazing thing I've ever seen that's accepted by noncey poncefuckers as art. The diorama shit is incredible, and standing a few inches away from the paintings by Hitler was a really terrifying creepy eerie feeling. If you've got any reason to be in London before July 12th you should really try and see it. It's free too, you scabby cunts.

From The Independent:

The art of Adolf Hitler (with a little help from the Chapman brothers)

Fucking-Hell-372x192.jpg

When the artists Jake and Dinos Chapman bought a series of paintings by Adolf Hitler for £115,000, many questioned the morality of paying for works produced by one of history's most brutal dictators.
Yesterday, the brothers unveiled 13 of the watercolours, on which they had added psychedelic rainbows, stars and love hearts, and placed them back on the market for £685,000.
The Chapmans denied that the paintings, which are selling as a single work, sought to "redeem" Hitler, and classed the original watercolours as "bland" and lacking in talent. "The idea of redeeming Hitler is bad, the idea of redeeming his work is a staggering work of genius," said Jake.
He hoped the defacement of Hitler's work, which includes landscapes, vistas of Roman ruins and still life, which the dictator painted when he was young, would have him "spinning". The changes they had added meant it was no longer Hitler's work, he added.
"If hell exists and Hitler exists in it, he would be spinning if he saw these. It's not his work any more. It's our work," he said.
Following concerns that the work could be bought by Nazi sympathisers, White Cube Gallery in London, where it is showing, has stated that it will be extremely careful about who it sells to.
Dinos Chapman said the work, entitled If Hitler had been a Hippy How Happy Would We Be, was a rumination of what might have been had Hitler not been refused entry to Vienna's art school. He added they showed a "blankness" rather than any hint of the deadly pathology that he would later demonstrate.
"He tried to get into art school with these. They are bland and show no presentiment of the genocide to come. They represent the husk of a man who would be filled up with bitterness and hatred. They are identical to thousands of drawings in junk shops. All they demonstrate is that they are a terrible work of art, not that the person behind them will become a tyrant," he said.
This is not the first time the brothers have defaced artwork. They offended some Spanish critics when they reworked 80 etchings by Goya, Disasters of War, adding funny faces and clowns heads.
The Chapmans also unveiled a swastika-shaped sculpture of epic scale, based on Hell, a work destroyed in the Momart fire in east London in 2004 which was bought by Charles Saatchi for a reported £500,000. This new version, Fucking Hell, sold for £7.5m.
The critically-acclaimed original installation depicted thousands of miniature Nazi soldiers carrying out acts of mass torture and cadavers hanging off trees. It was the centrepiece of the Royal Academy's Apocalypse exhibition in 2000. When the fire destroyed the work, the brothers announ-ced they would recreate it. "As an event, we couldn't fail to see something funny about hell being on fire. We couldn't imagine a world without hell and we wanted to rescue the work from the sentimentality that some clothed it in after it was burned. There was an affection for the work that did not exist when it was there as an object before the fire," said Jake Chapman.
Eighteenth and nineteenth century-style aristocratic portraits which the Chapmans doctored to incorporate ghoulish masks, and deformations, entitled One Day You Will No Longer Be Loved, is also on show.

I've been to the natural history museum a few times which is good (and is free)

I thought the Imperial war museum was good too especially the world war 1 trench recreation. (I should point out "war is not cool")

I've been to the natural history museum a few times which is good (and is free)

I thought the Imperial war museum was good too especially the world war 1 trench recreation. (I should point out "war is not cool")

One of the best recreation's I saw was in the holocaust museum in Riga of a concentration camp room, was fuckin intense :eek:

One of the best recreation's I saw was in the holocaust museum in Riga of a concentration camp room, was fuckin intense :eek:

I visited Dacau (?) concentration outside Munich and that was bit on the intense side as well, especially the ovens. At the time there was all these American tourists filming everything with their camcorders which was bit insane, I wonder how many times they sat at home watching it over and over again.

I visited Dacau (?) concentration outside Munich and that was bit on the intense side as well, especially the ovens. At the time there was all these American tourists filming everything with their camcorders which was bit insane, I wonder how many times they sat at home watching it over and over again.

Dachau is quite intense.

where is the gallery corm ?? gonna be over for scumfest this weekend and will try to go have a look if im not to smashed the whole time !

The White Cube Gallery is around Westminster, near Hyde Park, very near St. James Square, in a place called Mason's Yard. Well worth going out of your way to get to, and in fact it's easy to find.

Yeah, the Imperial War Museum is fucking amazing. Been about 5 times and still haven't spent as long as I'd like there. Still haven't checked out the Natural History Museum or the British Museum yet, both are supposed to be good. Went to the Anatomy Museum a few years ago, that was legend, and the London Dungeon is actually fucking cool, but a tad pricey (about 15 quid when I went).

The White Cube Gallery is around Westminster, near Hyde Park, very near St. James Square, in a place called Mason's Yard. Well worth going out of your way to get to, and in fact it's easy to find.

Yeah, the Imperial War Museum is fucking amazing. Been about 5 times and still haven't spent as long as I'd like there. Still haven't checked out the Natural History Museum or the British Museum yet, both are supposed to be good. Went to the Anatomy Museum a few years ago, that was legend, and the London Dungeon is actually fucking cool, but a tad pricey (about 15 quid when I went).

don't suppose you ever got to that medical instrument/early hospital museum, with all the harsh as fuck hand drills for lobotomies and such! Its near enough the london eye.

Yeah, went to that one time, in the top of massive old church over the world's oldest operating theatre, that one? It was fuckin cool, my gf's fascinated by that shit, we went there a couple of years ago, but it was mostly closed for renovations :/
Have to check it again sometime.

Yeah, went to that one time, in the top of massive old church over the world's oldest operating theatre, that one? It was fuckin cool, my gf's fascinated by that shit, we went there a couple of years ago, but it was mostly closed for renovations :/
Have to check it again sometime.

yeah thats the one indeed, the operating theatre was eerie as fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back