French Music (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Hello!

I am trying to learn French again and have to listen to these dead boring spoken word tapes.
Anybody know any good French singers/ bands that I could listen to instead. I bought Francois Hardy's greatest hits last week and am pleasantly surprised!

Also any good French films. I'd happily watch Amelie every day for the rest of my life but is there any others?

merci

some great french movies:

Delicatessen (by same guys as Amelie, but a much, much better movie)

Indochine
stars Catherine Deneuve (fuck that was hard to spell)

dunno if you can get it, but i saw a film in France called IP5 which was pretty good, about 10 years ago

music?

Serge Gainsbourg

Jacques Brel (bloody excellent music, and some of the best lyrics, as translated by Scott Walker and also sung by Jack L on his first album)

Um....if you want to be a pretentious twat like meself, and can bear listening to fat mingers shouting at each other, you could always give Carmen a try...as operas go, it's fairly tuneful...of course, like all operas, it can be boring by times to listen to, as you have bits where the drama is being moved along that don't sound so hot (if you were watching the thing, it would make more sense, but then you have to put up with the godawful acting and the fact that more than likely Carmen is not the beau she's supposed to be, but some hideous mutant)...but then you have the famous bits which are much better...as an added bonus, if you get a decent recording, it should have all the words written out in French AND English...or you could find them on the net, maybe...(checks) well, you can, but they're all in French, can't find any translation, but you could always get Google to translate them (badly), or do it yourself (as an exercise)...actually, your best bet might be to just get a highlights (and thus avoid the boring bits), and look the words up on the net...right, I've said FAR too much...

On the other hand, you could just wait for J-Lo's mooted Carmen movie...can't WAIT for that! She has the voice after all...

Cheers folks..
Some good suggestions there, I clean forgot about Jacques Brel and I have a Negrettes Vertes LP somewhere...

Serge Gainsberg gives me the creeps though!

On the films, I've read lots about Delicatessen so I'll take that out.

dionysos are pretty good. They had that "when i was a child, i was a jedi" song.

have some links at home that i'll post later.

some others....

polarbear
mickey 3d

...and all the others escape me at the moment. Why french music?! German music is sooo much better! Learn German.

Films....amelie sucks but l'auberge espagnol is pretty good although there's a lot more english in it.

You *must* check Noir Desir, they're fucking amazing.

Mind though, they released something like 10 albums and each can sound pretty different from the others so you might love one and hate another...

yeah, La Haine is excellent.

On that, does anyone know of any Irish language films? Cos, like, i rooly want to like, learn Irish and stuff? Cos i'm like going to Mayo, and I've heard that, like, they only speak in Iorish down there? And stuff?

I jest.

Re: Re: French Music

Originally posted by spiritualtramp
"He loves me he loves me not" is deadly .

as is Le Haine .

I remember seeing La Haine in the screen years ago. Excellent film. The stunned silent reaction from the audience at the very end was something else....

I really like the look of "He Loves me he loves me Not".
I kept meaning to go see it in IFC but always ended up in pub. I blame Christmas.

Enchance, why do you think Amelie sucks..?

personally, i wouldn't say Amelie sucks (oooh, matron!), it's just that she wanders through the film with this sweet little innocent expression that you just want to shake her by the shoulders, bitch-slap her into submission, screaming "life is shit, you dizzy bitch" into her ear until she bursts into a flood of tears.

Re: Re: Re: French Music

Originally posted by Jimcorr

Enchance, why do you think Amelie sucks..?

amelie sucks cause both of the unfortuate opportunities i had watching the film entailed watching it on a lap-top and only seeing the first half of it twice.

but that bit with the 12 (or is it 15?) orgasms is funny.

and as Alex said, Noir Désir aren't bad. I got a bunch of french music a few months ago on lend but i didn't even copy the damn CDs. arghhh!

check out "Black Bomb A", they're great*.

*that's a lie

Music:
Sayan Supa Crew have a new album on the way:

movies:
-le femme nikita/ Nikita

-Dobermann (savage french heist movie with Vincent Cassel from La haine and loads of other stuff)

-Brotherhood of the Wolf aka Le Pacte des Loups (also with vincent cassel) Make sure you get the french version of this, i accidentally got the hideous dubbed version when i rented it out, it was a huge let down after seeing it in the cinema

Originally posted by Ed
-Dobermann (savage french heist movie with Vincent Cassel from La haine and loads of other stuff)

Dobermann - bloody hell, I'd a mad night once watching that whilst extremely drunk, stoned and paranoid. Still didn't think it was much good though.

La Haine is deadly but like City of Lost Children they speak le Verlan alot so prob not the best to learn french to. Maybe go for older stuff like Le Quatre Cent Coups, Indochine, Le Grande Illusion, Belle de Jour, the Three Colours Trilogy etc. I'm not saying these are the greatest french films ever (though I like 'em all) but they're probably good for learning from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back