Freakonomics (1 Viewer)

Yes. It's interesting, but ought to be taken with a grain of salt, especially the sections about abortion reducing the crime rate etc, which have been debunked in the mean time.

It certainly is reductionism - in the sense that the data are analysed and used to make broad statements in a simplistic way, and some of the conclusions really do stick in one's craw (the aforementioned abortion/crime link is the big one) However the heavier stuff on which the book is based has been published in academia and is available if you're so inclined, I imagine.

The other problem is that a lot of the material has since been misinterpreted (William J Bennet's comments for instance, are utterly wrongheaded) which has led to bad publicity, and accusations of right-wing bias on the part of Levitt which I don't think exists. You can get through the book in an afternoon, and make up your own mind, though.

I think its an interesting book, but kinda disappointing. It seems more that the journalist wanted to write it than the economist and thusly its seems a bit dumbed down and simplified. Not as bad as that Malcolm Gladwell book but interesting nonetheless. I enjoyed its lack of political correctness in the commentary on naming of children, especially the girl called Shithead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back