freak out with my geek out (1 Viewer)

Ian said:
You gettin one?
feckin ting goh behher spex den my laptop at a pittance price!

nope, I'm poor.

I reckon by the time you get a monitor in there it'd be a little more pricey

but if yr replacing an aul box, it's bleedin deadly

It's about the size of 4 CD Jewl cases stacked up

stack up 4 cd jewl cases and go "holy fuckin jaysus"

$499 converts to about €380, but the mini is €520 on apple.ie...

What of the mini? It wasn't quite the same draw. Shuttle PCs that are four times the weight draw oohs, and ahs, but the Mini, a well engineered machine, just didn't. But then this is an audience of the converted, precisely not the customers Apple wants to attract. As far as it goes, the Mini has achieved an important goal even before it's started shipping. From Wednesday's analyst conference we learned that the Mini has similar margins to the eMac, and it has the the headline-grabbing $499 sticker price. But reader Richard from England makes the following point -
"If you go to the UK store and spec up a PROPER Mac mini (i.e. with a decent amount of memory, proper sized HD, wireless connectivity, etc.) you can end up paying anything from £600 to almost £1,000 for the bugger! For the same money you can get a Windows box from, say, Dell that will piss on the Mac from a great height. Sure it won't look as nice but who cares?" Answering himself, he continues, "Oh, Mac owners do. They've been sold the Emperors New Clothes."

In fact, a maxed out Mini Mac from Apple UK (and why shouldn't you want a SuperDrive?) clocks in at £913, with £129 AppleCare taking it over the four figure mark. This is a problem for Apple. When the price of PCs fell from around $1500 to $500 everyone suddenly noticed how the cost of Windows remained the same, and $80 suddenly became a very significant part of the cost. So too, Apple's oversees mark-ups suddenly stick out like a sore thumb.

Steve Jobs has a cultural deaf ear to Europe, which is surprising as it's where he steals a lot of his best ideas and poaches a lot of his best staff. In many parts of Europe, including Apple's second biggest market, the UK, it's quite acceptable to boast about getting a great bargain, in a way that it isn't in the United States. In the US, to a much greater degree, you are what you buy. If you buy cheap stuff, then it's a sign that you've failed to take advantage of the great economic opportunities the country has to offer. You're not only cheap, but either lazy or stupid, or both. This has played a great part in Apple's appeal here, where it markets itself as an upper middle-class status symbol.

Even without the markup, the new Mac still isn't cheap. IDC reckon a minimal decent configuration would cost you $1,300. Apple really isn't doing this for charity, and Michael Dell won't be losing any sleep.

For your reporter's money, it's a reasonable machine, but Apple needs to deal with the memory issue, as even this budget model is another excuse to gouge customers for expensive memory. With just 256MB, and a slow laptop hard drive, a lot of new Mac users first introduction to this superior system isn't going to be a happy one. Again, we'll know in a year or so.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/14/macworld_2005_roundup/

looks very pretty indeed. throw in a vga -> rgb converter and its a nice little portable dvd player/computer too.

the new ipod shuffle baffles me. who on earth wants to only hear things randomly. that would do my head in.

"it markets itself as an upper middle-class status symbol."

I never understood this notion. It markets itself as being a geat machine. Which it is.

i actualkly bought a dell so I have it running side by side with a four year old mac. even with that age difference, the mac still runs smoother and doesnt throw itself off the network and back on again like the dell does.

plus in a year or twos time nothing will run on the dell machine

Chocohead said:
i actualkly bought a dell so I have it running side by side with a four year old mac. even with that age difference, the mac still runs smoother and doesnt throw itself off the network and back on again like the dell does.

plus in a year or twos time nothing will run on the dell machine
we in the pc end of things refer to that as "progress".

Anthony said:
Really? why's that?

Because of the need to upgrade your graphics card (for example) to run the latest state of the art code.

Or the new processor for those state of the art equations/algorithms/games/music/video encoding.

Etc.

Still, I like them both. I just prefer the PC 'cos it's cheaper and easier to upgrade. Also, I dislike the elitism that seems to come out when people talk about their MACS over PC's. I've worked with and used both. They're both good ay what they do.

I can work on Cubase on my PC and give it to my mate who can work on it using his MAC. That's all that matters to moi. I can do things a whole lot quicker than he can and have more audio tracks running than he can because my machine isn't four years old. But it doesn't matter, cos the job gets done in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back