Foggy Notions presents VILLAGERS, May 9, Whelan's (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Foggy Notions presents

Villagers

& special guests Hired Hands

Whelan’s, Saturday May 9th, 7.30pm

Tickets €15 from www.tickets.ie, City Discs, WAV box office [lo-call 1890 200 078] & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

Villagers is the collaborative project of former Immediate member Conor O’Brien who is currently writing and recording some of the most lovely, subtle, intricately arranged songs this country has heard a long while.

The debut Villagers EP Hollow Kind, already on its second pressing, displays O’Brien’s singular touch; the ravishing brutal romanticism of “The Meaning of the Ritual,” the tumbling, tunneling soul-searching quest of “Down Under the Sea.”

As a songwriter on this record, the handful of myspace tracks and new songs revealed in live shows, O’Brien emerges as the total package; startling lyrics, expert arrangements, irresistible melodies.

The sixth best act in Ireland right now, says The Irish Times. Scary stuff. Hype is a distasteful sentiment in any context, watching something fresh and pure picked apart like a dead carcass before it has a chance to grow wings. All this talk of Villagers though, that might just be magic.
www.myspace.com/wearevillagers

Hired Hands met while in school and college in Dublin. They come from a classical background but play their own mix of folk and rock with an emphasis on vocal harmonies and a natural string and woodwind sound matching twin guitars. The band play and record in a church hall and gig regularly around Dublin. They have recently finished recording their first album which will be released in 2009 on Any Other City Records (Villagers, New Amusement). Influences include The Band, Joanna Newsom, Fleet Foxes and John Coltrane.
www.myspace.com/thehiredhandsdublin

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Premiership ends at 9.15 tonight.
Sure nothing starts before then, am I right?

this was really excellent i thought. tommy mcloughlin wields feedback at his whim.

bravos all round.

aye. highly recommend people check out Villagers live. some really special songs, great band

Very good show. Took us a while to get away from the talkers (Saturday night crowd) but the band is getting really tight. I saw them in Crawdaddy a few months ago and they've definitely upped their game.

I wish the lead singer would strap-on an electric guitar for a few songs, he seems a bit wasted on that little parlour guitar. Top songwriter though, one of those rare few that can wield a melody that stays in your brain.

Considering how full it was, Whelans was amazingly quiet. I thought.
Hope Willagers stick more to the ep-style songs than the not-much-tune-builds-to-emotional-crescendo ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back