FOGGY NOTIONS PRESENTS NO KIDS, MAY 24 (2 Viewers)

Foggy

FOGGY NOTIONS PRESENTS

NO KIDS (P:ANO/TOMLAB)
WHELANS, SATURDAY MAY 24TH

TICKETS FROM WAV, ROAD, CITY DISCS, TICKETS.IE

www.myspace.com/nokidsband

No Kids are Julia Chirka, Justin Kellam and Nick Krgovich of the critically revered pop band P:ANO along with a number of other contributors. Work on their first album Come Into My House was recently completed at The Hive Studios.

“Come Into My House is a studied synthesis of forms, a sweetly sad song cycle about loneliness and domesticity, and a totally singular pop record.”
- The Stranger

RECORD OF THE MONTH, February 2008
- Vice Magaine Germany

“It could well be one of the unlikely contenders for record of the year."
- AngryApe

“This Canadian trio have made what might be one of the most perfect records of 2008 with Come Into My House, an album inspired equally by Janet Jackson, '40s musicals and Arthur Russell... There's really not enough time to fully describe what to expect out of this one, you'll have to try it for yourself.”
- Austinist

Come Into My House (which takes its name from a 1989 Queen Latifah dance single) is the first release by Vancouver, Canada trio No Kids. Recorded at The Hive Studio in Vancouver (with the help of a sizeable grant from the Canadian government and the talents of nine guest musicians), Come Into My House achieves an unexpected cohesiveness despite the wide range of musical styles covered in its forty-one minutes. Golden era Hollywood musicals, Jam & Lewis-inspired production techniques, the icy displacement of contemporary R'n'B, and the breadth of Arthur Russell's, disco, pop, and avant-garde compositional work are referenced and married together by novelistic narrative strains, a lush instrumental palette, and a cinematic atmosphere.

Come Into My House is an album set in the perpetual Autumn New England of Douglas Sirk's classic melodramas. Krgovich's songs are populated by stuffy, lonely, Ivy League educated recluses with amazing wardrobes, languishing in empty beach houses while the leaves whip past enormous picture windows. Like the characters in an Alex Katz painting coming to life and bursting into song, Come Into My House turns the mundane into cinemascopic musical extravaganza. It's easy to imagine Busby Berkeley-esque dance numbers for any one of these twelve tracks.

Ambitious to the point of absurdity, Come Into My House is an album too grand to ignore.
The first single, “For Halloween,” capitalizes on elaborate vocal arrangements, thick bass, skittering rhythms, and an unexpected bassoon break to deliver an endlessly listenable piece of pop music.

Saw P:ANO a few years ago.
They were so good.

And Mt Eerie is one of the best things ever.
'It Was Hot We Stayed In The Water' is still one of my favourite albums ever.
I can't begin to describe the effect it has on me.

Anyone know stage-times for this?
I don't think i can make the whole thing:(

I agree with you there about 'It Was Hot We Stayed In The Water'. Absolutely amazing.

deadly gig last night.

The Oh Sees were alright. no great shakes and the female vocalist looked like a cross between my ex and my ma which was a bit weird.
No Kids were great. really nice simple pretty songs.
great drumming, the female keyboardist looks about 9 years of age and yer man the singer has a mouth like a trout.

Phil Elvrum was in good form last night.
such crap banter it was really funny.
auctioned off his electric guitar.
ended up going for £216 in the end.

cheque's in the post, ernesto

deadly gig last night.

The Oh Sees were alright. no great shakes and the female vocalist looked like a cross between my ex and my ma which was a bit weird.
No Kids were great. really nice simple pretty songs.
great drumming, the female keyboardist looks about 9 years of age and yer man the singer has a mouth like a trout.

Phil Elvrum was in good form last night.
such crap banter it was really funny.
auctioned off his electric guitar.
ended up going for £216 in the end.

Absolutely deadly gig. Phil's set just put me in a trance, the visuals worked really well. I like his banter "Hi my name is Phil.......Does anybody have any questions?". Good lad.

No Kids were really good too, the two bands worked well together. I really like the singer of No Kids Voice, worked well with the Mt.Eerie songs too. Myself and the missus ended up talking to the drummer 'Justin' for the whole night. Really nice guy and a great drummer too.

Twas great indeed. No Kids were great once they got their sound sorted. Got a huge urge to watch Twin Peaks after seeing Mount Eerie's visuals all industrial and woodlandy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back