Foggy Notions presents Grizzly Bear (1 Viewer)

Foggy

Foggy Notions presents:
Grizzly Bear
Plus special guests
Whelans, May 18

Tickets available from City Discs, WAV, Sound Cellar, Road Records

:heart:

FOGGY NOTIONS PRESENT

GRIZZLY BEAR

& special guests

Whelan’s, Dublin

Friday May 18

Tickets: WAV, City Discs, Road Records & Sound Cellar

www.myspace.com/grizzlybear
www.grizzly-bear.net
www.warprecords.com

Brooklyn’s finest, Grizzly Bear finally make it to Dublin. Last November they had to cancel their Whelan’s date and remaining European tour dates due to the theft of their backline in Brussels. Since then they have been the recipient of the Foggy Notions Album of the Year 2006 accolade for their second album, Yellow House (Warp Records), as well as huge love from the likes of Pitchfork and the New York Times.

GRIZZLY BEAR Yellow House (Warp)

2006 wasn’t dominated by one particular band or musical movement - it was a year for free spirits to spread their wings, and by gum did they fly, from Owen Pallett’s cascading Final Fantasy project to Scott Walker’s densely experimental audio-visual mind-fest to Joanna Newsom’s far-out pastoral paradise.

But the album that won out in the end came from a quiet corner of the music world. Ed Droste returned to his childhood home, the Yellow House in Cape Cod, with his band Grizzly Bear to record their second album. Enlivened by the atmosphere and the memories of the old house, and filtered through Grizzly Bear’s layers of detailed sound, Droste’s songs blossomed into dazzling Kaleidoscope gems.

“It was kind of weird,” Droste told us earlier this year. “It was the first time I spent an extended period of time in my childhood home since moving out. I was staying in my bedroom. None of my family was there. It was a funny experience, but it was a sort of a way to say goodbye to the house.”

The Yellow House has since been sold, yet immortalized beautifully with this psychedelic milestone.

Back in September 2006, we said: "Grizzly Bear left the yellow house with a hazy masterpiece of an album. Yellow House is a fantastical maelstrom of west coast psychedelia, 1990s shoe-gaze, timeless Americana, crazy Van Dyke Parks style arrangements, Hollywood musicals, Spector and Motown…
But seriously, as much as these references swirl in and out of view throughout Yellow House, don’t read any of them literally – they are all red herrings. Grizzly Bear have a thoroughly original personality. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back