Foggy Notions presents Fairport Convention, Whelan's, May 14 (2 Viewers)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Foggy Notions presents

Fairport Convention

Whelan’s, May 14, Doors 8pm

Tickets €20 excl. booking fee from WAV Box-Office (Lo-Call 1890 20078), City Discs, Sound Cellar, www.tickets.ie, Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

“The end-all be-all British folk-rock band.” – Rolling Stone

"Not only did Fairport Convention invent English folk-rock but they effectively destroyed it, too. Nobody could top the electrified versions of trad ballads such as “Tam Lin” and “Matty Grove”s on their classic, genre-defining Liege & Lief – after that there was nowhere left to go." –The Times

“The greatest folk-rock band ever formed.” - BBC

Formed in April 1967, Fairport Convention rapidly developed from playing cover versions of American west coast style music to an individual style, which melded rock music with traditional English tunes and songs.

The line-up of their most celebrated album, Liege & Lief, comprised Sandy Denny, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks, Simon Nicol, Dave Swarbrick, and Richard Thompson. This was the album that marked the transition of Fairport Convention from a rock band that used folk music as an influence on their sound, to a band that specialized in reinterpreting traditional English music.

With Liege & Lief, Fairport had invented British folk-rock in spectacular style. It was a milestone album, and an inspiration for many others. Even after more than thirty years, it is still one of the biggest-selling British folk albums, and has been consistently voted into “Best of” lists by pundits and public alike.

Affected by numerous personnel changes throughout its first decade, Fairport Convention was temporarily disbanded in 1979 but played annual reunion concerts until they reformed in 1985. Since then, they have enjoyed stability and continue to tour and record regularly.

In part, the continuing success of Fairport Convention is due to the annual music festival the band organises. Cropredy Festival has been held every year since 1977 near Cropredy, a village five miles north of Banbury, Oxfordshire and attracts 20,000 fans. Now renamed Fairport's Cropredy Convention, it remains one of the key events in the UK folk festival calendar.

BBC Radio 2's Sold On Song TOP 100 songs as voted for by Radio 2 listeners put their early song “Meet On The Ledge” at Number 17. They had performed “Meet on the Ledge” on the 1969 launch of From the Roundhouse (a short-lived BBC youth and arts programme about the London underground scene). In 2002 the band was given a Lifetime Achievement Award at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards and in 2006, Liege & Lief was voted the most influential folk album of all time.

www.fairportconvention.com

I'm presuming the lads mentioned in the biog page on their website;

http://www.fairportconvention.com/biographies.php

Simon Nicol, David Pegg, Ric Saunders, Chris Leslie, Gerry Conway.

So thats 2-ish original members. They'd have to have more than that though.

This is from wikipedia;

2007 was the band’s fortieth anniversary year and they celebrated by releasing a new album, Sense of Occasion. They performed the whole of the Liege & Lief album live at Fairport's Cropredy Convention, featuring the 1969 line-up of Dave Swarbrick, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks, Simon Nicol and Richard Thompson, with singer-songwritter Chris While taking the place of Sandy Denny.

Could be that lineup?

I want Richard Thompson.

I mean, you know, not like *that*.

Hey, did you ever hear his song called "Dear Janet Jackson"?

Dear Janet Jackson
You don't know me
but I saw you on the telly
you were wiggling like jelly
when you gave that song some welly
I couldn't help but notice there that you've got a pair of beauties
and if your other duties as a diva give you time
there's lots of hungry babes out there that need something to chew
a new role as a wet nurse could be just the thing for you

OH, if you must shove your nipple in somebody's face,
shove it in a baby's
shove it in a baby's
shove it in a baby's

I want Richard Thompson.

Hey, did you ever hear his song called "Dear Janet Jackson"?

Dear Janet Jackson
You don't know me
but I saw you on the telly
you were wiggling like jelly
when you gave that song some welly
I couldn't help but notice there that you've got a pair of beauties
and if your other duties as a diva give you time
there's lots of hungry babes out there that need something to chew
a new role as a wet nurse could be just the thing for you

OH, if you must shove your nipple in somebody's face,
shove it in a baby's
shove it in a baby's
shove it in a baby's

thats really beautiful jane

I want Richard Thompson.

No shame in having a horn for him Jane, he's lovely :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Anyway, really looking forward to this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back