Foggy Notions presents Daniel Johnston & Friends, Whelan's (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Foggy Notions presents

An Evening with

Daniel Johnston and friends
Backed and supported by Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse, Scout Niblett, James McNew of Yo La Tengo, Norman Blake of Teenage Fanclub and Jad Fair and Bob Sluggett of Half Japanese.

Whelan's Sunday July 28th, 8pm

Tickets €23.50 (incl booking fee).

on sale Thursday May 1st from WAV TICKETS [1890 200 078] & TICKETS.IE

The legendary lo-fi outsider artist and songwriter Daniel Johnston returns to Ireland after his debut Irish performance at a sell-out show in Vicar Street in 2007. This time the Foggy Notions crew bring him to the intimate Whelan's venue for a very special star-studded event. The first half of the performance will see a stellar cast of musical legends, including Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse, Norman Blake of Teenage Fanclub, James McNew of Yo La Tengo and Jad Fair, performing the songs of Daniel Johnston. The second half of the show will see the man himself take to the stage with his famous friends forming his backing band.

Daniel Johnston - a quick bio:

Daniel Johnston was born in 1961 and grew up listening to the Beatles, Queen, and Elvis Costello. According to his family-run website (www.hihowareyou.com), Johnston's song writing started early. "When I was a kid, probably nine, I used to bang around on the piano, making up horror movie themes," he says. "When I got a bit older, I'd be mowing my lawn and I'd make up songs and sing them. No one could hear me cause of the lawn mower."

As a teenager, Johnston began recording songs on cassettes and attending art classes (in addition to writing music, Johnston is also a visual artist and many of his sketches have made it onto the covers of his albums). Despite difficult bouts with mental illness, Johnston continued to record his cassettes, including the now much-loved Yip/Jump Music, and Hi, How Are You? Although the recording quality was lo-fi to say the least, Johnston's songs overflowed with honesty and emotions captured right on the surface.

Eventually settling in Austin, Johnston's cult status exploded when he was featured on an MTV special about the city's music scene in the mid 1980s. As interest in him grew, the independent Homestead label reissued many of his homemade cassettes on CD. At the same time well-known artists including Sonic Youth and Yo La Tengo began to talk up the artist, at times including covers of his songs on their albums. Nirvanas Kurt Cobain became known for wearing Daniel Johnston T-shirts.

After signing to Atlantic Records, Johnston's popularity grew as his music appeared in film and TV soundtracks including Kids and My So-Called Life. In 1994 he recorded the album Fun for Atlantic Records.

In 2001, Johnston's first record in seven years was released on Gammon Records. Returning to the type of earnest songwriting that made him famous, Rejected Unknown was selected by Mojo for its 1000 Ultimate CD Guide in the winter of 2002.

Now in his mid 40s and living with family in Waller, Texas, Johnston continues to draw and write music. In September of 2004 Gammon released the benefit album The Late Great Daniel Johnston: Discovered Covered, a recording of 18 of some of Johnstons best songs covered by such recording artists as Tom Waits, Beck, Eels, Bright Eyes, TV on the Radio, Mercury Rev, Sparklehorse and the Flaming Lips.

This year, an exhibition of Johnstons artwork was featured at New Yorks prestigious Whitney Bienniale.

The Devil & Daniel Johnston:

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is a stunning portrait of a musical and artistic genius who nearly slipped away. Director Jeff Feuerzeig exquisitely depicts a perfect example of brilliance and madness going hand in hand with subject Daniel Johnston, an artist suffering from manic depression with delusions of grandeur.

Daniel Johnston's wild fluctuations, numerous downward spirals, and periodic respites are exposed in this deeply moving documentary.

The film artfully melds current footage, vintage performances, home movies, and dozens of recorded audiotapes from Daniel's life. Testimony from supportive friends and a deeply committed family adds a rich layer to his personal history, but it is Daniel's poetic songs interwoven throughout the film that tell their own passionate, haunting, and truly unforgettable story.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston was a 2005 Sundance Film Festival winner.

Mark Linkous, Sparklehorse:

"Daniel Johnston has written some of the saddest and funniest songs I've ever heard. Next to Daniel, when I pick up a guitar or try to sing, I can't help feeling pretentious or corrupted. He's got the enthusiasm of a 12-year-old and the melodic gifts of Buddy Holly or the Beatles.

"For these songs to come out of his body and be documented on tape is a miracle. Daniel suffers from bipolar disorder, he can swing from manic depression to violence. Thankfully, his medication is more together now and the person that Daniel is beneath his illness shines through in his music. He is 43 and lives with his parents, who are getting old. So some of us got together to make an album covering his songs to raise money for his care.

"His insights are astounding and his songs are so universal they could be sung in subways or stadiums. I first got his homemade cassette album, Hi, How Are You? which Kurt Cobain famously wore the T-shirt for. I've since met other people who've got that album and they're all different. Daniel didn't realise you could duplicate, so every take he recorded would be an original master."

Jad Fair, musician/friend:

"Daniel puts words together in a way that is very heartfelt and original. I first heard him in 1985 when he was making very raw tapes that caused a buzz in Texas where he lives. He puts so much emotion into what he does. He can play for 10 minutes or two hours and I've seen him break down crying but immediately after the performance break out in a laugh. I got together with Teenage Fanclub and we covered My Life is Starting Over Again, one of his most "up" songs, about what would happen if he became a famous rock star. He's aware of the irony and there's a wonderfully dry line: "I guess it's better than suicide." I've known him do a concert and when people scream for more he'll flee out of a back window."

James McNew, Yo La Tengo:

"Daniel's songs are personal to the point where you are hearing something you maybe shouldn't be allowed to hear, but they also have a really dry sense of humour. I once visited him in mental hospital and it was difficult to have a conversation but when he's playing he comes alive. We've done gigs with him and it's like performing with Santa or the Easter Bunny, this mythical creature that's only existed in your imagination."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back