FLOWER-CORSANO DUO - w/ E+S=B and Boys Of Summer - Twisted Pepper (1 Viewer)

nEiLo

Website
www.lazybird.org
Flower-Corsano Duo

with support from

E+S=B

Boy Of Summer

Date: 18th July

Time: 8pm

Tax: €10

Twisted Pepper

54 Middle Abbey St.

Dublin 1.

FLOWER_CORSANO_DUO_Clothes%2BLine.jpg

This duo is an acutely musical collaboration between kinetic drummer Chris Corsano and Vibracathedral Orchestra's Mick Flower on shaahi baaja (Japanese banjo). As a two-piece they conjure, sweat and divine a music that elevates through rhythm and ecstatic harmonics. It's a sound that's intimate and epic, raw and tender. The dynamic is great. Eastern harmonics laced with a thrilling sense of discordance and melody. An explosive sight/sound that shudders the body and colours the mind.

Both Mick and Chris have vibrant solo, group and improvised projects but when the two men come together it's something else. The Duo's new 'Four Aims' album on VHF is something else like their album 'Radiant Mirror' album on Textile (2007) it is a beautifully expansive elemental sound pulling the listener into their detailed world.

Live it can be quiet and medative, then lift into a tribal, raw but acutely musical interplay between two musicians at peak power. As a duo these pair are dynamic (in a post-hardcore, improv sense) and heavenly in their mix of Chris Corsano's rhythm patterns, hand-claps and drums morphing into Mick Flower's eternal drone and ecstatic wall of amped pickings. They gel as duo to a startling degree, and are able to enrapture audiences of all persuasions. Chris Corsano is a kinetic DIY drummer (one of the world's most exciting) who uses this project to inject some punk tabla-type rolls into the audio world; Mick Flower is an incendiary guitar player who plays the 'shaahi baaja' or Japan banjo from India in a rocking, transcendent manner.

Michael Flower is best known as a member of Leed's Vibracathedral Orchestra, a lynch pin of the improvising rock/noise/drone world. He has also played and released with artists such as Tony Conrad, Sunburned Hand Of The Man, MV&EE and his own Michael Flower Band. In this guise Mick picks up his electric shaahi baaja. Discussing his use of the instrument Michael says, "I suppose I'm just jamming my own versions of ragas. Hopefully there's a similar purity there, although a more naive/ham-fisted one in the music I play. When I was a teenager we used to listen to the Velvet Underground, Indian classical, flute music of Papua New Guinea, primitive blues. I guess all the music I make is vaguely informed by that period." His playing can be overloaded and pins you to the ground or blissfully graceful even holy, his expansive sound lifting you to higher levels.

Chris Corsano's drumming has to be seen to be fully appreciated. An 'into the void' musician who collaborates with a huge range of artists and can still pull off mad solo shit. It is a rare drummer that can hold his own with his customized kit, clatter practice and circular breathing drone exhortations but retain a dynamic and structure that works. He also self-releases a CD of distorted and spiked keyboard pieces on the Hot Cars Warp label to confuse those who try to pin him down. Loose-limbed, intense, even melodic, he exposes the audience to sounds and rhythms that defy normality. He moves light footed around the world sparking off into all kinds of collaborations playing with/alongside Jim O'Rouke, the Dimension X project, Sonic Youth, Sunburned Hand Of The Man, Bjork, Mick Beck, Okkyung Lee, Evan Parker and Bill Nace among many.

Here is a recent interview: http://www.fragil.org/focus/1029

www.myspace.com/chriscorsano
www.myspace.com/themichaelflowerband
www.myspace.com/electronicsensoriaband
www.myspace.com/munitionsfamily

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back