flatwound strings... (1 Viewer)

righteous harmony

Website
www.predatorpee.com
anybody use em? i'm always saying that i'm gonna put a set on my hofner president - just out of curiosity. had a look for them in a couple of shops recently but they didn't have any. so... are they any use? any benefits/disadvantages?

I've not used them on a six string but I've used them on fretted and fretless basses. They're a must on a fretless but not much cop on a fretted bass.

yeah actually i had em on my jazz guitar!
it felt really weird at first because theyre completely smooth. also they arent as "resonant" as regular strings. theyre more kind of damp or dull or something. but they do sound great, feel great to play and are really easy on the fingers. so i guess it depends on your style. fingerpicking and jazz stuff sounds great. the hofner president is a jazz guitar as well no?

They rule.
I use 'em on my Jag to take some of the edge off the twang, and because they feel lovely.
They tend to jazz up my Jazzmaster a bit too much, so I use rounds on it.
Definitely, try 'em.

I'm going for a bass set on my Violin Bass ripp off, the round wounds are too bright and the hollow body encourgaes all those extra overtones (?) and harmonics (?) to ring too much

flat wounds and a big chunk off foam at the bridge should fix 'em...

i tried playing a fretless with round-wound strings and nearly puked from the vertigo. too weird. didn't feel right at all. besides, i'm not jeff ament.

i tried playing a fretless with round-wound strings and nearly puked from the vertigo. too weird. didn't feel right at all. besides, i'm not jeff ament.

there words

twelve. string. bass.

ament8x.jpg

too far dude...

there words

twelve. string. bass.

ament8x.jpg

too far dude...
there are SO many things wrong with this picture. Let's list them:

- Nike high-tops...it's not a basketball game, dude
- his stance...it's also not a ballerina recital, dude
- his hat
- his bass
- his shorts
- his jacket, which MATCHES HIS SHORTS
- his tensor bandage (too much b-ball and ballerina'ing)

oh, the humanity...

never considered putting them on a giutar. why would you want less twang??
layed a bass with flat wounds. its quite odd.

odd? how so?

well sir i just don't know...
it seems to me that flastwound strings sounds dull and crap,
and i'll tell you now i can't have that!

NB: this post was typed like i was in the animated version of alice in wonderland.

i use flatwounds on my jazzmaster (when I can afford them, they're bloody expensive) and they're great - they mellow everything out a little, and make the bridge a lot more stable - definitely try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back