Fight like Apes album streamed (1 Viewer)

One star for FLA in the Indo today.
There's also a two-page spread on The Coronas. Did you know that they've sold 15,000 albums?

Here's the review:

Fight Like Apes get a great local press. They work well as a live unit -- chaotic and unpredictable -- and that has helped them grow their fanbase and land an appearance at this year's Glastonbury. Over the course of a number of EPs, they have tried to distil their live energy -- but with mixed results. Theirs is not the sort of music that one would necessarily want to play at home -- what's charming and endearing live, can end up being really annoying once it's recorded in the studio.
And that's exactly the problem that befalls this debut album. Far from it being the masterpiece that some more excitable members of my profession have suggested, the only thing remarkable about it is how pedestrian it is. There's an almighty racket all right, but it's a pretty tedious one -- and not nearly as clever as these people think they are.
Lead singer MayKay is the best thing about the band, thanks to her striking vocals. Unfortunately she gets drowned out repeatedly by the unlovely shouts of bassist Tom and keyboard player Pockets. Imagine a duet between Andrew WK and one of the guys from Jackass and you come reasonably close to grasping how God-awful it is.
The opening two tracks Something Global and Jake Summers suggest that there is a decent band trying to break out, but the rest are about as tedious as their titles (Lumpy Dough; Recyclable Ass).
Burn it: Jake Summers

Very good review in The Ticket though ...

Who wrote the Indo one?

I was once mistaken for a member of the coronas by some young one at an awards show. Practically leapt on me and snapped a load of pictures. wasn't the proudest moment of my life:(

I hope you smashed her camera and threatened her with a knife.

I think it was John Meagher.
Yes, just saw the Ticket one, which is significantly more positive.

I don't have an opinion myself, maybe I should merge these two reviews to form my own 'take'.

The Coronas are amazing, the best band named after a beer since Paul McGuinness and The Pints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back