Few questions about caring for records. (1 Viewer)

Lungs

Not sure if this is the right forum, but;

-Is there anywhere around Dublin that sells anti-static inner sleeves? Also, are these worth the effort? I've read that the regular paper ones do damage to records when they're being put in and taken out of them. What's the story?

-What's a good, cheap way to keep my records dust free? There's so much shit on the internet about brewing up homemade record cleaning solutions and chamois leather cloths that I'm all in a daze.

Thanks.

Keep them clean to begin with,handle them with clean hands too. Have the inner bag opening so that it's not open at the same place as the outer sleeve,y'know so the record won't just fall out. Always put them away after playing. All common sense really.
There's a shop on capel street,it's kinda more of a dj type shop,but they sell cheap guitars etc too,they sell cloths and cleaning fluid. You shouldn't really need the fluid if you buy yoyr records new but sometimes used records could do with a scrub.
I've never bothered changing inner sleeves,unless they are particularly fragile or prone to tearing.

I was wondering for ages what was good to use for cleaning records and consulted loads of noncy vinyl enthusiast mailing lists i'm on and it seems the best solution alot of people use is you get some white wine vinegar and mix it one part vinegar to three parts water. The using some pretty good quality cloths put a tiny amount on the cloth and wipe from the center outwards, this is really good for shifting heavy grime dirt on second hand records you pick up. But one word of warning, after you do the above make sure you dry of the record entirely using a dust grabbing cloth (i find the ones Pledge make to be pretty good :cool:). anyway its all very labour intensive and tiring:p works though

arghh working on Saturday night and posting about cleaning vinyl, i'm at a high point here for sure ;)

Keep them clean to begin with,handle them with clean hands too. Have the inner bag opening so that it's not open at the same place as the outer sleeve,y'know so the record won't just fall out. Always put them away after playing. All common sense really.
There's a shop on capel street,it's kinda more of a dj type shop,but they sell cheap guitars etc too,they sell cloths and cleaning fluid. You shouldn't really need the fluid if you buy yoyr records new but sometimes used records could do with a scrub.
I've never bothered changing inner sleeves,unless they are particularly fragile or prone to tearing.

Thanks for the reply. I've been handling them carefully and that, it's just that dust accumulates really damn easily and is hard to get rid of. I'll check out that place you mentioned.

I was wondering for ages what was good to use for cleaning records and consulted loads of noncy vinyl enthusiast mailing lists i'm on and it seems the best solution alot of people use is you get some white wine vinegar and mix it one part vinegar to three parts water. The using some pretty good quality cloths put a tiny amount on the cloth and wipe from the center outwards, this is really good for shifting heavy grime dirt on second hand records you pick up. But one word of warning, after you do the above make sure you dry of the record entirely using a dust grabbing cloth (i find the ones Pledge make to be pretty good :cool:). anyway its all very labour intensive and tiring:p works though

arghh working on Saturday night and posting about cleaning vinyl, i'm at a high point here for sure ;)

Sounds good. Would you bother with the solution just for giving dusty records an auld wipe? Most of mine have been bought new.

Seems like I just need one really goddamn nice cloth.

Sounds good. Would you bother with the solution just for giving dusty records an auld wipe? Most of mine have been bought new.

Seems like I just need one really goddamn nice cloth.

then i'd recommend getting some of those pledge anti-dust wipes, they really life every single bit of dust of the record, only thing is watch em on the edge of the records cause if the edge is kind of rough the cloth might snag on it and caue even more dust than before, doh!:eek:

then i'd recommend getting some of those pledge anti-dust wipes, they really life every single bit of dust of the record, only thing is watch em on the edge of the records cause if the edge is kind of rough the cloth might snag on it and caue even more dust than before, doh!:eek:

I'll pick some of these bastards up, thanks chum.

lint free cloth. you can get them in hardware shops in the wooden floor care section. I always thought it was bollox, argh I'll just use an old sock. But I recently got one for polishing a table and it's brilliant. cost about a fiver and you can put it in the washing machine and it comes out like new.

lint free cloth. you can get them in hardware shops in the wooden floor care section. I always thought it was bollox, argh I'll just use an old sock. But I recently got one for polishing a table and it's brilliant. cost about a fiver and you can put it in the washing machine and it comes out like new.

nice! thanks :cool:

Here .. tell us more about this anti-static inner sleeves ...

I have been meaning to ask about this 'cos I have a few records, that I have bought new in the last year or so, that seem perfectly clean, pressed on super-heavyweight quality vinyl but are almost unlistenable because of, what I think is, static. They all have heavy printed inner sleeves and the records seem to really cling to the sleeves when you take them out. I am guessing that this means dust clings to them too and causes the crackling.

Would an anti-static sleeve solve this? Does it, like, de-charge them? Or do I just need to clean them properly? I really don't know what I am talking about here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back