[Feb 17, 2015] Hamell on Trial (The Workman's Club) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 420
  • Watchers 0

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
The Workman’s Club Presents
Hamell on Trial
Tuesday, 17 February

PERFORMING CHOOCHTOWN AND OTHER STORIES FROM THE STREET IN ITS ENTIRETY!

To mark the 15th Anniversary of the release of Hamell on Trial's seminal album Choochtown (or it could be 14 years, frankly everybody was too dusted to write any sh*t down....) Hamell will be performing the seminal Choochtown album in its entirety at The Workman’s Club on Tuesday, 17 February.

Hailed as "Absolutely Brilliant" by Uncut Magazine with a 5 star review, "Poignant!" by The Stereo Times and “A One Man Tarantino Flick” by The Village Voice, it was voted the #6 Record of the Year by Uncut for 2001. Choochtown was a DIY celebration of the street recorded in Hamell's dirt floor basement in his Brooklyn tenement after being 'let go' from his first major label deal on Mercury/Universal.

“I remember being highly influenced and excited by Pulp Fiction, Kurosawa's Rashomon, and Biggie Small's Life After Death”, recalls Hamell, “And being not particularly impressed by what the current vogue of 'singer-songwriters' were doing. I was on my own as far as not being on a label so what did I have to lose if I opened up an album with 'Go F*ck Yourself' ?”

Hamell will be peppering the performance with songs in a similar vein from his extensive catalog. Choochtown's main character, Bobby, has appeared on several of Hamell's albums. “Bobby is like a combination of a lot of my screw ball underworld friends. Lovable petty criminals in the Damon Runyon vein. It's just the majority of the incidents I write about are true.”

Using his trademark high-energy stage show, whip-lash tongue and machine gun guitar, Hamell is excited to revisit what some consider to be his masterpiece and performing some songs never heard live before. Hamell quips: “You'll be so dazzled you won't even know I stole your wallet. Or your girlfriend.”

Choochtown is available free or as a 'pay what you want' from Bandcamp: https://hamellontrial.bandcamp.com/album/choochtown

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back