Favourite Irish Eateries (1 Viewer)

Bellatrix

I'm always on the look-out for somewhere new to stuff my face. My Dublin faves are:

Dunne & Crescenzi
The Mermaid Cafe
L'Gueleton

But I'd be really interested to hear of nice places down the countrah. Just on the offchance that I ever learn to drive. Apparently The English Market in Cork is foodie-heaven. Is this so?

Vermilion in Terenure - bostin' curries and to-die-for homemade ice cream and kulfi. Decent early bird menu too - 3 courses for 24 quid.
.|..|

Catwoman said:

I ate in Bilash Tandoori in Clontarf last week. Starters and mains were fantastic but the desserts weren't the Mae West. The mango kulfi in particular was tiny, irredeemably phallic and (apparently) pretty vile.

What was notable though, was that on the menu under MANGO KULFI it said: AVAILABLE IN MANGO!

Phunny.

Dunne & Crescenzi
Simon's cafe (georges arcade)
Honest to goodness (ditto)

catwoman said:
Vermilion in Terenure - bostin' curries and to-die-for homemade ice cream and kulfi. Decent early bird menu too - 3 courses for 24 quid.

Wish I'd known that when we were in terenure last week, next time maybe.

DIEP

went to ba mizu in the powerscourt centre last weekend, it was pricey enough that i was glad someone else was paying, but it was also yumtastic.

also i was in nude for breakfast this morning and they were playing le tigre. i approve very much.

there's a place in abbeyleix that me and the ma always stop for lunch in when we're doing the cork-dublin drive. it's pretty much the only restaurant there. they have a lovely open fire and the food is divine.

khans in donnybrook, my favourite. indian food, very affordable, break your own booze...

also, wagamama is always quick and nice, the mermaid cafe, english market in cork, and for fish and chips macdonaghs in galway

Brian Conniffe said:
break your own booze...

istockphoto_915603_marine_tradition.jpg

breakfast/lucn - honest to goodnes in George's st arcade
lunch - simon's place, dunne and crescendo

cheap dinner - gruel, wagamama, condotti, govinda, salamanca
moderate - tante zoe, gueleton, Monty's
pricey - Browne's, la Mere Zou, Guibaud's

Brian Conniffe said:
... and for fish and chips macdonaghs in galway

I love this place. Every time we gig in Galway I try and eat in McDonaghs. Usually fail though .... "Soundcheck? Soundcheck? Who needs a soundcheck? Let's go and eat oysters or something in McDonaghs!"

City Centre, Southside: Jacobs Ladder (Nassau st., above Kilkenny Design)
City Centre, Northside: Chapter One (Parnell Sq.)

Neither are cheap (though they both do a pre-theatre menu) but certainly not in the Guilbaud range. Jacobs Ladder has a serious wine list, mostly French. Yes.

Due to the china house being closed I ended up going to that newer Govindas last week and it was nae bad. Way better than I thought it would be, the plate of food were massive for 7euro or so. Bleedin stuffed I was, and it tasted nice. Better than the other govindas coz there was the usual nice tomatoey thing with cheese stuff but the other dishes tasted nice too.

Brian Conniffe said:
khans in donnybrook, my favourite. indian food, very affordable, break your own booze...

I had a mixed experience with these guys.

No Khan do.

When i was in college i dropped into this place on my own as i'd heard they offered a fantastic lunch for five euro. In fact I think it was five pounds at the time.

The lunch was delicious, service was fine and all was good till i went to pay. I was charged 7.50 or thereabouts. I pointed out the sign on the window that advertised the 5 quid lunch but i was told that because i didn't mention it when i was ordering i had to pay the regular price. I refused to pay the full price not only because i thought it was bullshit but cos i only had a fiver.

Anyways the guy musta been having a bad day cos he went into a screaming tirade putting some kind of Malayalam curse on me, waving his arms and ignoring his co worker who was trying to calm him down. He stormed out into the kitchen and the other guy took my fiver.

I left the place quite shaken from the whole ordeal and put it down to some kind of personal trauma the guy was going through.

Anyways, i'm never going back.

Lefty Frizzell said:
I had a mixed experience with these guys.

No Khan do.

When i was in college i dropped into this place on my own as i'd heard they offered a fantastic lunch for five euro. In fact I think it was five pounds at the time.

The lunch was delicious, service was fine and all was good till i went to pay. I was charged 7.50 or thereabouts. I pointed out the sign on the window that advertised the 5 quid lunch but i was told that because i didn't mention it when i was ordering i had to pay the regular price. I refused to pay the full price not only because i thought it was bullshit but cos i only had a fiver.

Anyways the guy musta been having a bad day cos he went into a screaming tirade putting some kind of Malayalam curse on me, waving his arms and ignoring his co worker who was trying to calm him down. He stormed out into the kitchen and the other guy took my fiver.

I left the place quite shaken from the whole ordeal and put it down to some kind of personal trauma the guy was going through.

Anyways, i'm never going back.

I remember that, it was the day Pakistan got the bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back