Farmer gets 6 yeras for manslaughter (1 Viewer)

brianoak

Anyone see that?

"A county Mayo farmer who killed a traveller on the road outside his house has been sentenced to six years in prison.

Sixty one year-old Padraig Nally of Funshinagh near Cross was found guilty of the manslaughter of Ballyshannon born John Ward, a forty-two year old father of eleven in July.

The judge told the Central Criminal Court it's the most socially divisive case he's ever had to try.

Mr Ward's family have said that the sentence is lenient."

What think ye?

It's a really hard case, on one hand you've got the resident's right to defend his home and himself. Then you've got the fact that he shot him twice, the second time when he was crawling away which seems a bit over the top.

But you can't really know how far you'd go in that situation, if you just lose it you lose it. Sad for all concerned.

saw the prime time thing the other night, the interviews given by the family of mr ward were very unconvincing. they claimed he wasn't a violent man, except when he had a few drinks according to the sister , then it was revealed that one of the four outstanding bench warrents for his arrest was for attacking a gard with a slash hook...sounds a bit violent to me.
but on the other hand as was stated by a solicitor in the show , human life is more important then property,the judge had a really difficult decision to make

The reconstruction on RTÉ was amazing. He basically hunted him down and shot him like an animal. And beat him half to death beforehand.

I know the entire southside wants to canonise him, but his response was completely disproportionate.

That neck of the woods is where I'm from. I don't know the guy but I know of the Wards and many people on the jury of course were local people . Nally's a hero for many down there and people have no sympathy for the traveller or his family. Scary shit.

"yera, feckit anyway."

he was moved to a different prison this week after some death threats were made against him. I had the pleasure of hearing gerry ryan ranting about that on monday morning. now I remember why I never listen to radio...

the issue of defending your own home is a thorny, difficult one, but it looks like mr. nally went way, way over the top on this one.

in the words of HitsLikeAGirl above, "He shot him deed. In he goes." fair enough.

plug said:
"yera, feckit anyway."

he was moved to a different prison this week after some death threats were made against him. I had the pleasure of hearing gerry ryan ranting about that on monday morning. now I remember why I never listen to radio...

the issue of defending your own home is a thorny, difficult one, but it looks like mr. nally went way, way over the top on this one.

in the words of HitsLikeAGirl above, "He shot him deed. In he goes." fair enough.

I heard some where that the crime rate has gone down in the area since the traveller man was killed. I also heard that the traveller was seen on the mans land a couple of times before and he was afraid of his life.

I know what its like to live a mile away from your nearest neighbour, if I was on my own and some one walked into my house out of pure fear id protect myself how ever I could.

Roisin said:
I know what its like to live a mile away from your nearest neighbour, if I was on my own and some one walked into my house out of pure fear id protect myself how ever I could.

There is a difference between protecting yourself and shooting someone crawling away injured though. Sentance seems fair enough really.

What was totally unfair was those two chaps recently getting a slap on the wrist for stamping on someones head. They should have gotten at least six years each as well.

spiritualtramp said:
What was totally unfair was those two chaps recently getting a slap on the wrist for stamping on someones head. They should have gotten at least six years each as well.

The tennis coach/player dudes? Got off lightly they did. Although the tabloids gave them grief.

Also
A few months after the whole Anabels thing eight pricks were involved in the kicking of a Swedish dude to death in New Ross. Four of them got off, the other four got suspended sentences.
They weren't poshos though - all bar one came from rough council estates in the town and from growing up there I know they would have been total cunts to cross.
For whatever reason there was no media circus or no outcry whatsover at the lenient sentences.

yeah the judicial system here isnt too great it seems.
but what was scary was all these people on the late show the other week telling how if they had been in that position..
"i'd have shot the bastard, pat".
one fellow said he woke one night to see some lad was stuck halfway in his window and he went to get a hammer to bash his head in but yer man wiggled away. and now he wants to start up some mad vigilante group.
crazy mad stuff.

g-stereotypical said:
yeah the judicial system here isnt too great it seems.
but what was scary was all these people on the late show the other week telling how if they had been in that position..
"i'd have shot the bastard, pat".
one fellow said he woke one night to see some lad was stuck halfway in his window and he went to get a hammer to bash his head in but yer man wiggled away. and now he wants to start up some mad vigilante group.
crazy mad stuff.

My village would be mad into that. Clonroche VG, protecting the community from thugs. or something like that. Clonroche isnt a big village its just baicly three pubs , a chipper and four shops, three of which all belong to the same family. but in the past 30 years has had two murders. One stabbing and half the place has been robbed.

An English friend of mine was taking a shit once when he heard someone breaking in downstairs. He finished his business and went calmly off about the house looking for the burglar - came across him in a bedroom and politely asked him to empty his pockets and leave. The burglar was totally freaked out that he'd been caught, and insisted on shaking my friend's hand over and over he was so relieved that he wasn't getting a hiding

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back