Eye floaters (1 Viewer)

potlatch

Website
www.monkeybomb.com
Over the last few months, I've been noticing weird stringy black flecks appearing in my eyeballs, darting around the place.

Someone said to me today that they're 'floaters' and the internet says there isn't a cure. My left eye is much worse than the right, and I see these yokes most of the time now. Apparently only OAPs get them, but I've had loads of ailments that only oldies are supposed to get so it makes sense I'd get floaters, too.

They're like tinnitus of the eyes. I already have floaters of the ears.

Does anyone have these? Anybody managed to do anything about them through doctors, diet, transcendental enlightenment?

Friend of mine has this as well. He describes it as like having clumps of mud on his glasses.

Apparenlty there is nothing to be done.

They kind of settle down during the night but are stirred up again - like a smowglobe - in the morning.

I have a shit load. Strings, dots, black and opaque. Always had them and they're harmless.

Whenever I'm bored I swirl them around and see what comes up.

There is some sort of procedure where they drain the fluid out of your eye, replace it with saline and then your eye naturally replaces it with new "humors" or whatever they're called. There's a decent chance of going blind though.

Normally, there is no treatment indicated.
  • Vitrectomy may be successful in treating more severe cases;[12][13] however, the procedure is typically not warranted in those with lesser symptoms due to the potential for complications as severe as blindness. Floaters may become less annoying as sufferers grow accustomed to them, even to the extent that they may no longer notice them.[14]
  • There is also Sutureless Vitrectomy, as the standard vitrectomy involves cutting through the conjunctiva, or fleshy part of the front of the eye, and making openings in the pars plana area which require stitches at the end of the surgery. In the sutureless technique, small tubes or canulas or trochars are placed through the pars plana area and very tiny instruments are placed through these tubes. Once the surgery is complete, the tubes are removed and no stitches are needed. Only in certain cases can sutureless vitrectomy surgery be performed. [15]
  • Another treatment is laser vitreolysis.[16] In this procedure a powerful laser (usually a Yttrium aluminium garnet laser) is focused onto the floater and in a quick burst vaporizes the structure into a less dense and not as noticeable consistency.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

And I can't believe you came to thumped before Wiki.

i went to the optician about this when i was a youngfella,
came out of the place a specky four eyes. glasses didn't
even help...was told there's no cure, sure i'd barely notice
them had i not read this thread

I feel so unalone.

Has anyone's floaters improved over the years? There's a few big, manky ones I'd hope might fade away eventually.

Would I have to shift to a sultanas-only diet or something?

I'm gonna name all me dots and strings after Thumped posters to commemorate our freakish maldevelopment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back