External 1TB HD - Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter simp
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 0

simp

Hi:-

I know this has been asked a trillion times - but I'm in the market for a 1TB HD and...

I was going to go for this:-
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=410
2TB - Raid 1 - Western Digital Mybook Studio Edition II - around €320 - user serviceable which is good...

I'm using a 500GB WD Mybook at the moment which belongs to a client and find it fine - but I also need to get a bigger drive for them...
I can get a good price on this from Dabs:-
http://www.lacie.com/ie/products/product.htm?pid=11064
Lacie 1TB Triple Interface - around €130

Anyone have any opinions about either? I know that there are strong opinions out there on the Internet - just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of them.

Or maybe just get an enclosure and a HD? And enclosure recommendations?

Thanks for those recommendations...

Anyone had any experience with Raid 1 setups?

Lacie do one - so do Western Digital... Just wondering if it's worth paying double...

D2 LaCie 1tb drive.

The dogs bolix.

I only get the D2 drives. The redesign is class.

Edit: Round 200 bats from Right Click on camden st

Not quite used - opened and returned - Dabs generally give a 25% or so discount... Got an eye for the bargains, me - and I had a €150 budget.

The D2 looks good - lighter, too. But the bigdisk has the advantage of Raid 0 and a 32MB buffer - so it should be faster over FW800.

apologies if I'm hijacking the thread but, where's the best place online to buy an external drive? I kinda need one stat myself. are pixmania good? they certainly seem cheap.

I'm intrigued by and clueless about esata. how would you connect it to a macbook pro?

apologies if I'm hijacking the thread but, where's the best place online to buy an external drive? I kinda need one stat myself. are pixmania good? they certainly seem cheap.

I'm intrigued by and clueless about esata. how would you connect it to a macbook pro?

Pixmania can be slow enough delivering.

I've ordered from them and have been happy with speed. But they may have changed.

I generally order from dabs.ie because they have a very extensive catalogue and the price is right. BUT they use GLS to deliver to Ireland - who can be complete muppets - so make sure you get things delivered to a business address.

Komplett.ie are good - but stock less of a range.

From what I can make out - if you're looking for a good video editing set-up to work with DV or HDV on, FW800 on a Raid-0 drive set-up is just fine.

eSata is faster - almost four times faster - but you need to get an eSata expresscard 34 to connect it to your Macbook Pro - and as far as I know, not all the eSata cards are compatible with the MBP chipset - so do some research before you pay for a card - they cost around €50.

ah... well I guess in that case I'd have no need for anything like that then; I just need a disc to store work, timemachine backups and other assorted shit. I guess a drive that has firewire 800 would be perfect. according to some benchmarks usb 2.0 doesn't perform very well on the mac.

ah... well I guess in that case I'd have no need for anything like that then; I just need a disc to store work, timemachine backups and other assorted shit. I guess a drive that has firewire 800 would be perfect. according to some benchmarks usb 2.0 doesn't perform very well on the mac.

If you want to use time machine with it, then you'll be relying on the USB connection... I use a little bus powered portable Lacie drive connected to my airport extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back